Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How am i able to distinguish the 1.8 from the 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
I've been having this gut feeling that i bought myself a 74' 1.8 instead of the 2.0. How would be able to find out for myself if the engine in my 74' is a 1.8 or 2.0?
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Sep 5 2004, 11:54 PM)
I've been having this gut feeling that i bought myself a 74' 1.8 instead of the 2.0. How would be able to find out for myself if the engine in my 74' is a 1.8 or 2.0?

start with the engine numbers ...
that'll give you an idea of what *case* you have.

however, keep in mind that any case (including 1.7 and 1.8) can be used to build a 2.0L.

as for the heads, you can easily see if you have 2.0L heads by counting the studs that hold down the intake runners to the head.
1.7 and 1.8 have 4 studs, 2.0 have 3.

also, look at the angle the spark plugs go into the head. (when looking at the engine from the top)
on 1.7 and 1.8 the spark plugs go into the head from the top, on a 2.0 the plugs go in from the side at almost 90 deg. ...

hope this helps,
wink.gif Andy
dlo914
aww crud i think ive got either a 1.7 or 1.8 that was converted into a 2.0...is that necessarily a bad thing compared a stock 2.0?
ArtechnikA
there is some power to be had in the Porsche 2,0 cylinder heads. is that what you're using to make your determination.

but it's not a LOT of power, and the 914 2,0 heads are a little fragile (cracks...) so a 1,7 or 1,8 head that's been enlarged to accept 2,0 cylinders, or a 2,0 bus head will be a bit down on power but probably a little more durable.

you CAN always uprate to 914 2,0 heads when you're ready. bring money.
jim912928
At a quick glance...1.8's use L-jet if you still have EFI and the 2.0's use D-jet. The L-jet is distinguished by a square air filter box off to the drivers side...it is then connected to a MAF...which is then attached to a large S shaped tube (several inches in diameter) which then attaches to the throttle body.
skline
Take a picture of the engine and post it, then we can tell you what it is.
Thorshammer
2.0 has three studs on the intake manifold where it attaches to the head and the 1.8 has 4 studs. As I am aware, please correct if not.

Then again it could have larger p&c's and the previous owner just called it a 2.0 which is entirely possible. So to clarify, the differences are Injection, heads, bore and stroke, rod length,Crank etc...

Erik
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Thorshammer @ Sep 6 2004, 03:00 PM)
2.0 has three studs on the intake manifold where it attaches to the head and the 1.8 has 4 studs. As I am aware, please correct if not.

specifically, Porsche 914 2,0 HEADS have 3 intake studs.

it can be a 2,0 bus motor.

it can be a former 1,7 or 1,8 with 2,0 internals (crank, rods, pistons, cylinders...) and have a legitimate 2,0 displacement -- even if it still has 1,7 or 1,8 heads.

2,0 heads are a really good indication of (at least) 2,0 displacement, but you cannot determine displacement from looking at the heads alone.
nebreitling
is it slow? or is it really slow? slap.gif
dlo914
here's the top view of the engine in my 74'
dlo914
passenger side view of the engine:
dlo914
and the driver side view of the engine:
SirAndy
damm, those pictures are tiny ... biggrin.gif

looks like a 1.7L to me.
unsure.gif Andy
dlo914
1.7's came fuel injected?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Sep 7 2004, 08:11 AM)

ALL US 914/4's came fuel injected.

1,7's and 2,0's used basically the same system, but with different parts to account for the displacement difference and some updates. 1,8 used a different form of injection control.

914.6's and Euro 1,8's (at least some of them) had carbs.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Sep 7 2004, 09:11 AM)

they ALL came fuel injected.
NO 4-cylinder 914 in the US came with carbs from the factory!

looks like a 1.7L with D-Jet from your pictures ...
<_< Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.