Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BMW brake conversion onto a 914...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
I remember a friend of mines stating i'd be able to swap out the stock brakes from the 914 and throw in some stock BMW brakes without any modifications needed. Now the question is: which BMW is he talking about?
Jeroen
320 series.
IIRC you need to machine them (slightly) to fit on the '73 and later 914s
I hate to say it, but use the search function...
dlo914
which year span of the 320 series?
Juniors_914
IIRC, I think its 78-83 320i calipers.. I hope someone corrects me if i'm wrong

smile.gif -Junior
nein14
You can also use BMW 528 calipers on the front, the mounting holes line up. To center them you have to use a 1/8" spacer plate behind the caliper to center the caliper 0n the rotor.
ArtechnikA
first - to all the new guys - Welcome !
i'm glad you're enjoying your cars and the site.

but - i've also gotta say this - all the questions you're asking have been asked and answered MANY times already. that little box in the upper right of your screen has a Search button in it. make it your friend.

ALL the questions and answers that have been covered here in almost two years are STILL here - you have only to look around for them.

especially - check out the 'Classic' threads...
seanery
Rich is right. This thread has been discussed many times.

My opinion on brakes for our cars, especially 4 cylinder street cars is to take care of what you have. A well tuned and sorted stock system stops very well. Especially considering the pads that exist today.

I put a 19mm m/c on my bluecar when it was a 4 cyl. I had so much stopping power that I could lock the wheels at will. The car still had 165/15 tires on it at the time. Put on a set of 195/60 or 205/55 tires with a 19mm m/c, new pads, fresh rotors, R & R the calipers if needed, get some new stock rubber or stailess brake lines, get some high quality brake fluid and have at it. You'll be surprised how well a 4 cylinder car will stop!
Brett W
Yeah ona stock tired four cylinder car the stock brakes can be made to work pretty well, but if you through on some super gummy 8+ inch wide street tires then you will not be able to lock them up, you gotta do something. I am running the 320 calipers on the front with stock rears and the inline T. I am very happy with what happens. When I rebuild this fall/winter I will be running stock 914 front calipers on the rears and BMW fronts. This should be an awesome combo. May be going to a 9 inch wheel as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.