Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT digital camera
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
In yet another example of great skill, I managed to pour a whole cup of coffee on my camera. For my next trick....

Anyway, what's the best $200 ish camera to get? Easy to use, good pix, not too many gadgets, smaller is better.
JoeSharpOld
Howard: Did you take your pills today. biggrin.gif
Joe
seanery
Howard,
Gint has a bitchin' little camera. I think it's a Pentax and fits insided of an Altoids box smilie_pokal.gif

not sure of the price, but I'm sure it's in the 200-400 range
skline
Fry's has a couple on sale this weekend till tomorrow. I use a Sony Cybershot P92. Its 5MP and takes great pictures and nice movies too. It uses the memory sticks so the memory can be swapped out. Its still in the 3 to 400 range.
BIGKAT_83
Howard

Fry's have this Canon powershot on sale with a printer for $199. A good buy even without the printer.
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4018962

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Bob
jwade
Pentax Optio S 4

4 megs and fits in an altiods tin.
I have had one for about a year and i love it.

I picked the Pentax becouse of the size and have not
been disappointed.

john
drivebyguy
Get this one Howard (you'll also have to get a lense) http://www.samys.com/product.php?ItemNo=KODA8916611
You may want to be more careful with your coffee around it though!

Can't you make an insurance claim on your old camera??
PM me and I'll give you the name of a good insurance agent.

max
Verruckt
QUOTE(Howard @ Sep 6 2004, 05:28 AM)
In yet another example of great skill, I managed to pour a whole cup of coffee on my camera. For my next trick....

Anyway, what's the best $200 ish camera to get? Easy to use, good pix, not too many gadgets, smaller is better.

You might want to check out Gateway. Yes the computer company. My mother bought a 4 megapixel camera for $200. It's not loaded with as many features as higher priced cameras, but it's not a bad camera at all. And the price is certainly good enough.
Bleyseng
I have to recommend the 3700 Nikon Coolpix, 3.2 Mp. About the size of a pack of smokes so it fits in your pockets. Has lots of cool features but isn't too complex to take 5 minutes to figure out how to delete a shot.....
Bought one for Blair and took it on our Amsterdam/Crete trip. Takes awesome pics and worked out great for us. I like the simple controls so I could take pics outside then walk into a 14th Century church and switch modes instantly to a non flash mode for inside.

I bought it for $188 (had a $100 rebate) from Butterflyphoto.com. My Dad was so impressed he got one too. We also bought one over to Moniques sister in A'dam for her kids to have/use.

I still have/use the nikon 5000 for my normal use but this is a nice little simple digital camera with all the simple features you need.

Geoff
(ex photographer)
dakotaewing
I bought the HP 735 refirb at Fry's on Friday for $90 - It's 3.2 MP, and seems to be a great camera for the price -

Thom
skline
QUOTE(drivebyguy @ Sep 6 2004, 07:31 AM)
Can't you make an insurance claim on your old camera??
PM me and I'll give you the name of a good insurance agent.

max

Yeah Howard, did you get that name of the good insurance agent?? You may be able to offer him a job if he is that good. Didnt you say you were always looking for good agents?? lol2.gif
campbellcj
The little 4mp Pentax is a great choice but more than $200 I believe. We recently sprung for the Canon S500 which is their smallest 5mp model, as my wife liked that one a tad more and we already had some investment in CompactFlash stuff. The Pentax uses SD cards and is smaller than the Canon's which use CF.

All of these new cameras seem to come with really wimpy memory cards from the factory so be sure to budget for a larger one. 256's are pretty cheap now and hold enough pics for most of us.

If you haven't seen it already, check out www.dpreview.com Great digicam review and info site.
Rhodes71/914
My .02 - I have a Canon S50, it is a 5 MP and I love it, much better than the Kodak of HP that I have had. You can get down in the $200.00 with less MP. I think that the Canon Powershot line of cameras is pretty good.
GWN7
Kodak's SITE has some good deals, 5MP 10X zoom for $229.00. Prices start at $79.00 for a 2MP
boxstr
Howard I feel bad since you were going to take a pic for me of a 914 and then you spilled coffee onto your digi cam.
If you were not going there for me you would not have spilled coffee on your digi cam.
Anyway I want to send you a contribution to the new camera fund. Thanks for the efforts and the video, in 104 degree heat.
CCLINLABORDAYTELETHON
Howard
QUOTE(boxstr @ Sep 6 2004, 08:52 AM)
Howard I feel bad since you were going to take a pic for me of a 914 and then you spilled coffee onto your digi cam.
If you were not going there for me you would not have spilled coffee on your digi cam.
Anyway I want to send you a contribution to the new camera fund. Thanks for the efforts and the video, in 104 degree heat.
CCLINLABORDAYTELETHON

Insurance 101 biggrin.gif
Never insure anything worth less than your monthly income. Protect yourself from disasters, not annoyances.

And Boxster, buy that car or I'll post it on the board beerchug.gif

Seriously, thanks everyone.
anthony
The best $200 is probably a used camera that cost $400 last year. That Canon A70 someone posted though is a pretty good camera.

I just bought a used Canon S400 (tiny sized camera) in like new condition for $250.

It all depends on what kind of camera and features you want.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.