Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling Florida come in please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
Just checking as to how you all weatherd the storm. Hope all is OK with minimal damage.
machina
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Sep 6 2004, 10:14 AM)
Just checking as to how you all weatherd the storm. Hope all is OK with minimal damage.

We're OK way down south here in Miami, thanks.

Lucked out but another one (IVAN) is on the way on the exact tract. And their computer models have been dead on so far. sad.gif

Just out cleaning up the yard now instead of working on the teener.

dr
smg914
It's finally left Tampa headed West North West towards the panhandle. Tampa got mostly flood damage from rising rivers and storm surge from what I can see from the local news. This mainly affected people who lived along the rivers and on the bay. Also the storm knocked a lot of trees down which obviously did damage. It was only a tropical storm by the time it arrived in Tampa. My neighborhood never lost power, cable, telephone or DSL service. We all feel very fortunate the storm weakened as it crossed the state from East to West. Now we are waiting on the next storm "Ivan" to decide which way it wants to go.

We haven't heard from our 914 friends in West Palm Beach and up the coast to Vero Beach. I'm thinking they didn't fair quite as well.
Porsche Rescue
Naturally people are the first concern, but right after that I am anxious to hear that the yellow '75 which recently arrived in Palm Beach is OK. I'm guessing it arrived before the storm.
smg914
The last time I talked to Josh he told me he was glad that the car wasn't going to arrive before Frances arrives. So I guessing it will be arriving this week. Although it may be delayed because to the storm. Currently most of the gas stations in central Florida are out of gas. According to the Gov. Bush, the ships carring the gas are all out in the gulf of mexico waiting on the hurricane to leave so they can dock and unload.
jhs914
Frances is making landfall now south of Tallahassee. The area where the eye is hitting the shoreline is mostly unpopulated marsh. However, Tallahassee is getting high winds. Tallhassee has LOTS of trees that fall during storms. My stepdaughter, who lives in Tallahassee, called at 1:00 A.M. today all upset because an oak tree had fallen on her new Cavalier. I sounds like it was crushed. She said all of the tires blew out from the weight of the tree!

I know, it was only a Cavalier, but it was her first new car and she was really proud of it.
Brad Roberts
Keep us informed. I check CNN before I check here.... Ca. earthquakes are'nt looking so bad right about now.

B
Qarl
We're fine here in Orlando. Lots of rain and wind, but no damage other then the trees down... AGAIN! We had the family here (10 people) and six cats and a dog and two birds. Storm lasted about 36 hours. We had tornados today (actually had some twisterrs in the area that made us hide out in the center of the house). But no touchdowns reported.

My mom's huge beach house at Satellite Beach (just north of Melbourne) had the roof ripped off and about 20 inches of rain pour inside.... so the house is basically totalled... sad.gif

She is heading back to Orlando from taking pictures of the carnage right about now. I'll post pictures later.
Katmanken
Sorry to hear about your mom's place Quarl,

My mother-in-law's house in Indialantic (just south of the Eau Gallie causeway and west of A1A) lost a few shingles but that was it. The neighbor who stayed for the fun and reported on the condition of her place lost his roof! That must have been an "entertaining" time!!!!!

70 % of the traffic lights are down and a lot of the power poles so it will be a real zoo when they can go back. Lots of damage in the low area just norht of Patrick AFB on A1A.

Some parts of Indiatlantic are 4-6 feet above sea level blink.gif Mebbe lower than that by now!

My old house in Indiatlantic was on a mountain top at 21 feet above sea level. Wonder if it is still standing?

Ken
URY914
We're back on line. Cable/internet went out yesterday so we were cut off from the world.

Mostly rain here, this morning was actually the worst of the entire weekend. Schools will be closed tomorrow.

PS: 'teener's OK.

Paul
smg914
Get Verizon DSL, it's more reliable. Besides I have a lot of Verizon stock options and I need to have VZ stock go up in value so I can cash them in some day.
nsyr
A view from my backyard.
GWN7
According to the Gov. Bush, the ships carring the gas are all out in the gulf of mexico waiting on the hurricane to leave so they can dock and unload.

Sounds like a excuse to raise gas prices for awhile. mad.gif

Glad your all ok.
redshift
I went submarining today, actually went into a puddle that sloshed water over the door, and into my open window...

Glad you guys are still with us, even if Florida did break away, and now is under Cuban control.

smile.gif

M
GWN7
"Acording to the Miles News agency, Florida broke off of the contential USA today due to the receint huricane."

"Fidel welcomes all the new Cubans"

"Spanish classes for all new Cubans are manditory"

"It was reported that Florida broke away just North of Orlando, so plan your trip to see the peoples Disney land."
redshift
biggrin.gif

The hurricane will from now on be refered to as 'Francisco'..

M
URY914
and now is under Cuban control

Now? I guess you've never been to Miami.

(I'll be flamed for that comment biggrin.gif )

Paul
Qarl

"Spanish classes for all new Cubans are manditory"

Correction: The southern half of Florida is already almost entirely composed of Spanish speaking people. So classes have been canceled!

In it's place, underwater basket weaving will be offered. Bring your own scuba gear.
URY914
nsyr,

Where do you live?

Have we met?

Paul
URY914
QUOTE(Qarl @ Sep 6 2004, 04:25 PM)
The southern half of Florida

And the southern half is creeping more north everyday.

Paul
Andyrew
Sounds like california... wink.gif
URY914
See Senor! biggrin.gif
GWN7
isn't that "Kalifornia"? now?
Andyrew
Hmm... interesting... Even our governor speaks spanglish... "Hasta la vista"...

Gah we should have seen it coming! He was paid by mexico to casually not notice mexico slowly taking back its territory!

(all in good humor... cool.gif )
carr914
I've got two trees down, some flooding in the back yard coming up from the lake and a power pole listing at an angle like the hi banks of Daytona from the neighbors yard. The 914-6 is a bodyshop. I drove by late today and there didn't seem to be any damage to the building. That Ivan out there churning looks like a Nasty S.O.B. It's time to start working on my force-field. I think I saw directions in the back of Popular Mechinics.... or Penthouse..I can't remember which.
T.C.
URY914
Accourding to my 1963 edition of Popular Mechanics we should all have flying cars by now.

WTF happened? sad.gif

Paul
bongo monkey
QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 6 2004, 08:38 PM)
Accourding to my 1963 edition of Popular Mechanics we should all have flying cars by now.

WTF happened? sad.gif

Paul

We already have flying car technology... just leave your car in the driveway next hurricane.
URY914
A few more years of that global warming stuff and we'll be there.

Paul
redshift
heh

Dood, the minivan changed future history.

M unsure.gif
Rouser
28 hours without power sent some of the fridge's contents to the circular file, while the freezer kept everything else frozen solid. Gonna have to pluck down for a portable generator for these extended bouts; at least a floor fan and TV would've made things a little more bearable. I feel for the more heavily hit areas.

Went outside during a break in the festivities for an assessment of any damage. Lucked out that the worst I got was some side molding flying off to Never-Never Land:
Rouser
While the chimangi-dog's usual sniffing haunts got washed into the pond:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.