Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need a caliper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
My front passenger caliper has a frozen piston.

Dunno how they worked so well unless I baked at at the last DE I did with it.

Does anyone have a known good front passenger caliper to match the other on my 72?
Engman
Rebuild time!!

ALL of the calipers were this way on the 74LE. Scariest thing I have done is to get those pistons out of the caliper. Sounded like a shotgun blast for each one. You have to use an air compressor attached to the bleed port. Cushion the caliper area, mine looked like a big rag cause I had a towel wrapped around it and BOOM out they come. It gets real scary as the pressure got up to 200PSI before they let loose. Be careful when doing this. These are not bad to rebuild, get a kit for each one - and I would do both sides.

M
Aaron Cox
agree.gif .. keep hands and all valuable objects out of the caliper. sad.gif

100...120...130........180psi BOOOM.

very entertaining biggrin.gif
GWN7
What would you use if your compressor only goes to 150?
J P Stein
I've got a pair off my 74 they were fine when I took em' off and carefully stored....sell em' for cheep. How'sa bout 20 bucks + shipping?...or trade for a 914 hat?
Verruckt
Wouldn't it just be easier to take the caliper off the rotor and put a piece of wood in there and use the hydraulic pressure of the brake system to break it free? I'm sure that the pressure in a brake system is more than 180psi. And liquid doesn't compress.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Sep 6 2004, 09:36 AM)
What would you use if your compressor only goes to 150?

it may work at 150...
Engman
I actually did mine with a cheapo tire inflator that plugs into the cigarette lighter outlet. Something like $20 at Walmart. Has a gauge and goes to 250PSI. Used a piece of old plastice fuel line jammed into the end of the tire inflator and it fits over the bleed nipple. You may have to help hold it on the bleed nipple. BE CAREFUL - this can go BOOOM.

M
Doug Leggins
I have some calipers available but I'm not sure of their condition - came from parts cars.

The signal orange 72 has working calipers but they won't be available until after the FFC.
tracks914
I'd go for the "use the hydraulic pressure of the brakes methood". It is easy to do, more controlled and far less dangerous.
Just be sure to do it slowly and keep your master cylinder topped up as to not get any air in the system from that end.
Joe Ricard
Well as exciting as an air compressor is. I used an old bicycle hand floor pump. only took maybe 50PSI and had a block of wood inbetween pistons. The 1st one to start moving gets a C clamp till the other side gives way.

Air compressor is cool till someone looses an eye. or finger. wacko.gif
seanery
JP,
didja get my PM? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.