Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
The starter selnioid does not activate when the ignition is turned to start. The selinoid does activate the starter when I cross the yellow wire connection (50) to the positive battery pole connection to the starter. However, when I back track to the relay board, with the ignition switch in the start position, I do not get 12v at pole 6 on the engine harness connection. From where does 6 pole of the relay board obtain 12 v from the ignition switch? Is there a fuse link between the ignition switch and pole 6?
Thanks,
L. McC
Brad Roberts
NO fuse... but what year is the car ??

The 74 and up cars have a starter interrupt under the passenger seat that causes issues as time goes on.

Here is how I test backwards... find a 12 volt source and start touching each available point along the wiring harness (first 14 pin connector...then the second one... then inside the car... then.. you get the point)

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(lmcchesney @ Sep 6 2004, 09:47 AM)
Is there a fuse link between the ignition switch and pole 6?

nope, no fuse. switch could be bad. that happens rather frequently ...

wink.gif Andy
lmcchesney
The body and I believe the electrical system is a 72. There is no seatbelt interrupter.
Thanks Brad, I'll have to do the search. I believe I replaced the ignition switch about six years ago.
L. McC
lmcchesney
Well, I found the persistant problem. I followed Brad's advise and used a stright pin tracing 12v from the ignition switch. I lost 12v where the yellow wire enters the rear of the centeral tunnel. No 12v at the firewall. Found under the front seat, two yellow wires which were just twisted together. Yelp, the PO had removed the interrupter and just twisted the wires together. Now they are soldered together. However, I found a relay there, which is warm to the touch. What is this relay?
L. McC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.