Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V6 & V8 teeners - above/below the axles?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
Seen a couple different approaches for exhaust on V6 & V8 teeners. Gettin ready to fab a Y-pipe for the SHO motor going into the 914. Want to run single exhaust down the right side, muffler in stock position, and single tail pipe out the back-left.

Curious to see different approaches there are for routing exhaust above or below the axles. Post pics!

Here's a picture of the 3.2L SHO motor.
Click to view attachment

TIA
pdlightning
QUOTE(3d914 @ Feb 13 2012, 07:52 PM) *

Seen a couple different approaches for exhaust on V6 & V8 teeners. Gettin ready to fab a Y-pipe for the SHO motor going into the 914. Want to run single exhaust down the right side, muffler in stock position, and single tail pipe out the back-left.

Curious to see different approaches there are for routing exhaust above or below the axles. Post pics!

Here's a picture of the 3.2L SHO motor.
Click to view attachment

TIA

I am also interested in the exhaust, but what are you going to do for the intake and filter?
matthepcat
My 350 used to have one side cross under the oil pan meet up with the other side. This went through a 3" cat and a flow master in the stock location.

This configuration was great because no drone! Should have kept it.

Oh and it went under the axles (holds axles off the ground if your cv blows out!)
jimkelly
drone - not sure i will ever grow accustomed to it sad.gif

an upside to dual exhaust is that when hooked to a sniffer - you can see if one bank of 4 cylinders is buring different than the other.
andys
Over the axles.

Andys
slothness
I went over the axles too for maximum lower-ability blink.gif
Just beware if using block huggers...don't use em. The collector dumps right out on the shift rod on the drivers side, angling the bend is a true bitch. I wanted to go y-pipe also but I bought all my parts long ago before I discovered all my mistakes and couldn't return them. I ended up building a custom straight shift rod linkage per the Jwest design and now there is more room down there. Beware you might have to unexpectedly fabricate some items.

Ignore the poor welds, they dont leak smash.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Above the axles is the only way to fly.
slothness
Oh and the heat shields in Andys first pic is a recommended idea for going over the axles. I can probably roast a pig in my trunk on a 30 minute drive. mmmmm

You'll probably have less of a problem with that being a single side muffler, but its something to think about.
bulitt
QUOTE(andys @ Feb 14 2012, 12:06 PM) *

Over the axles.

Andys

Did you just weld up a bunch of pipes, have them bent, or is it the ass end of an available kit (like an axle back section of a mustang as an example)?
Thanks
andys
QUOTE(bulitt @ Feb 14 2012, 11:07 AM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Feb 14 2012, 12:06 PM) *

Over the axles.

Andys

Did you just weld up a bunch of pipes, have them bent, or is it the ass end of an available kit (like an axle back section of a mustang as an example)?
Thanks

I bought stainless mandrel bends from Summit and TIG welded them together. Mufflers are FlowMaster 3 chambered for reduced interior noise.
A note on heat shielding: don't forget to shield the shocks in the event your muffler or pipe is close; no need to heat up the shocks un-necessarily. Can't see it in the photo, but there's a shield between the shock and the muffler.

Andys
Andyrew
Muffler shop. 5 years ago they did mine for 300 including 2 magnaflows and resonated tips.
computers4kids
No drone, over the axles and a crossover pipe with SBC
IPB Image
3d914
Great feedback guys, thanks. Above the axles it is. I wanted to keep the exhaust as close to the trunk as reasonable and was concerned about heat. I'll plan for some kind of shielding - similar to the stock muffler shield welded to the underside. That keeps it off the exhaust.

QUOTE(pdlightning @ Feb 13 2012, 09:38 PM) *

I am also interested in the exhaust, but what are you going to do for the intake and filter?

pd, The intake will use the stock manifold as shown, fed by straight tubing from the rear of the trunk where a naca duct will draw intake air in. The MAF sensor will sit between the filter box, under the naca duct, and the throttle body. I'll also have to fab a metal or FG riser to the forward part of the trunk/engine lid to cover the exposed throttle body.
914.SBC
beer3.gif
TC 914-8
My car now, SBC goes over the axles, never thought about the heat in the rear trunk confused24.gif I'll have to check it out. this does give better clearance and more roome for mufflers.
My first 914 had a Capri V-6, I went under the axles and used a bursch exhaust, dual in, single out left side. It sounded just like a Porsche 6. Hot and loud once it aged and blew out the FG glass packs.
The single chrome 2-1/4 outlet was very 6ish. yes, I was a poser in the 80's, and still can't afford the real deal 6 hissyfit.gif
Your Ford SHO is the bomb aktion035.gif
3d914
Thanks for the encouragement. TC - got some pics?

914.sbc - nice test stand for the engine. I think I overdid it with mine. I wanted it to be able to stand up on end for storage. Found a design on the net and modified it.

Click to view attachment
3d914
Here's the mockup pics for the down pipes from the two headers that will merge into a single 2.5" exhaust. Fortunately it merges on the right side, away from the shift bar. PVC is 2in ID - same as mandrels.

Left side. Piece of 1.5" square steel represents the engine bar. Don't want to weld it until I test fit in the engine bay.
Click to view attachment

Front. Could have come straight down with the right pipe, but need an extra inch of clearance when its on the engine cradle during testing.
Click to view attachment

Right - well already see something I'll need to fix. Mockup's doing its job.
Click to view attachment
matthepcat
Good idea using PVC pipe. Also great choice merging into a single pipe, as it is one of the easiest ways to have NO drone.

3d914
matt, can you elaborate on the "drone"?
matthepcat
Drone is when your exhaust creates a harmonic vibration often changing depending on RPM and engine load. Conversions with "true dual" exhaust routing seem to suffer from an aggressive version of this problem.

Ever ride in a hotrod with no carpet, and 2chamber flow masters that dump at the rear axle?

Drives you crazy on a longer drives.
3d914
Wouldn't a cross-over tube help eliminate that?

From following the SHO sites, it seems they can suffer from raspy exhaust if a resonator (or glass pak) is not fitted. Not sure I'm gonna have room for one.
matthepcat
QUOTE(3d914 @ Feb 19 2012, 03:36 PM) *

Wouldn't a cross-over tube help eliminate that?

From following the SHO sites, it seems they can suffer from raspy exhaust if a resonator (or glass pak) is not fitted. Not sure I'm gonna have room for one.

Sure, but the crossover needs to be close to the manifold/header to be effective.

Crossing under the oil pan is your best bet like you are planning.

I wouldn't think the raspy SHO problem will crossover to the short length 914. There is however probably enough room to run your resonator & muffler if creative.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.