Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
1. What is the difference between a stock 914 tach and a 911sc tach. They look the same (7k limit)?

2. Can a stock 911sc 1 in/1 out muffler work with 914-6 headers? It would need some kind of adapting pipe, but I'm worried about running out of room. What set up do most folks use?

Thanks for your help.

Steve
You can't use a four cylinder tach with a six. Most people use an early 911 muffler. It would be to much of a hassle to modify a late model 911 muffler.
I'm running a Bursch 2 in one out turbo muffler.
IronHillRestorations
Generally speaking it's easiest if you can get the same tach and combo gauge for the year model engine you are using.

If the exhaust for the SC was backdated, it might work. I usually try to get a '73 911 muffler, as it's close to a stock 6 muffler.
scrz914
I'll have to check the 73 911 muffler. Is it 2 in?

I just missed out on a Bursch 914-6 muffler on ebay. It went for $87.

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Feb 13 2012, 09:44 PM) *

I'll have to check the 73 911 muffler. Is it 2 in?

I just missed out on a Bursch 914-6 muffler on ebay. It went for $87.

....................about 87 times, give or take a few bucks, what it was worth ........................

The Cap'n
scrz914
Also, I'm seeing the SC tachs advertised for average of $200 on ebay and Pelican. Has anyone been successful buying one cheaper?

I bought my Oil press/Temp gauge at Parts Heaven for what I thought was a good deal, $50. But I now see that it is for a '85 Carrera even though I told them '83. Would that matter?
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Feb 13 2012, 09:55 PM) *

Also, I'm seeing the SC tachs advertised for average of $200 on ebay and Pelican. Has anyone been successful buying one cheaper?

I bought my Oil press/Temp gauge at Parts Heaven for what I thought was a good deal, $50. But I now see that it is for a '85 Carrera even though I told them '83. Would that matter?

The Oil/Temp are year motor specific! PartsHeaven told me as long as it is a 3.0L with in the years that motor was produced it would work.

I just made sure I purchased a tach within the year range of my motor and it worked fine!
scrz914

The Oil/Temp are year motor specific! PartsHeaven told me as long as it is a 3.0L with in the years that motor was produced it would work.

Sounds like I need to send this one back to PH. I thought it was too good to be true.

Can anyone explain how an SC muffler is "back dated"?
IronHillRestorations
You can put an earlier (like a '73) exhaust on an SC, that's what I meant by "back dating".
scrz914
Thanks Perry.
Maybe you can answer a engine harness question for me. Would I also need to match the engine harness to my engine ('83 3.0), or would any SC harness work? I'm sure there's variables involved... but in general?
ClayPerrine
The engine harness is a whole different animal. A 911 harness won't work in a 914 without making an adapter harness. Probably better to make a new engine harness.

brant
maybe someone else knows for certain...

but wasn't there a point where the 911 tach changed its pick up signal?
was it in 1984 with the DME?

I'm only posting this because I'm not 100% certain an SC tach will work
I will let others clarify as I can't remember which year it changed...

I think I bought earlier tachs in the past.

brant
yellowporky
This link might be of interest to you.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914-6_cons..._info_guide.htm
AZ914
There were a couple of tach changes, perhaps even with the SC? I remember finding a ton of conflicts when shopping for mine.
Best bet, get the one that goes with your specific motor. I found a nice 3.2 Tach on Pelican for 150 shipped.

Same with the harness, match the motor, then you (or someone) can map out the pinouts and connect it to your 914 harness.
TravisNeff
A stock muffler on a US spec 3.0 has one inlet, the standard conversion headers (or OE 914/6 heat exchangers) are 2 outlets. You need an earlier muffler that has a double inlet
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 14 2012, 07:46 AM) *

maybe someone else knows for certain...

but wasn't there a point where the 911 tach changed its pick up signal?
was it in 1984 with the DME?

I'm only posting this because I'm not 100% certain an SC tach will work
I will let others clarify as I can't remember which year it changed...

I think I bought earlier tachs in the past.

brant

I had a 78 tach and it didnt work with my 83 motor!
scrz914
A stock muffler on a US spec 3.0 has one inlet, the standard conversion headers (or OE 914/6 heat exchangers) are 2 outlets. You need an earlier muffler that has a double inlet

Okay, that's what I was wondering. It will definitely have to be 2 in.
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I need to track down an '83 parts car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.