Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bursch Muffler Purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I am looking to purchase a Bursch muffler for my 73 1.7. I have the original muffler on the Teener right now.

I went to Bursch's website and they have four choices:

BX 1411 Street---Glass pack. Loud.
BX1412 Combination---Detachable Glass pack.
BX1413 Quiet Street---Turbo. Quiet.
BX1414 Quiet Combination---Detachable Turbo.

I don't play my radio so I don't care about listening to my tunes.

Can anyone share their experiences some of the choices above.

I kinda like the BX 1411 Street.

Thank you so much in advance for your response and feedback.

Terry
zymurgist
"Quiet" is a relative term. I think the "quiet" turbo muffler leaves my ears ringing more than a ride on my motorcycle.
914_teener
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Feb 14 2012, 06:58 AM) *

"Quiet" is a relative term. I think the "quiet" turbo muffler leaves my ears ringing more than a ride on my motorcycle.

I'd get the quiet street.......that's what I have.
zymurgist
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 14 2012, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Feb 14 2012, 06:58 AM) *

I'd get the quiet street.......that's what I have.

agree.gif That's apparently what I have as well.
audio_file
I also have the quiet street on my 75 2.0, with the cat removed. I love it's sound, a nice growl under acceleration- a bit of a droning sound on the freeway at 70ish (my car's sound deadening is intact on the firewall), but that's just a good reason to raise the RPM's and go faaaaastar!
JmuRiz
FYI: You should post a want-ad in the classifieds and save some money over buying a new one. You could always buy a used one and have it ceramic coated for less.

BTW: I like the street quiet, I had one on mine when I had a 4...then upgraded to a Triad (deeper sound).
tod914
If you go with one, you might want to see if you can order it unpainted (call the manufacturer). They use a very poor quality paint. Be better with some VHT Flameproof or a simular product.
914_teener
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 14 2012, 11:13 AM) *

If you go with one, you might want to see if you can order it unpainted (call the manufacturer). They use a very poor quality paint. Be better with some VHT Flameproof or a simular product.

agree.gif

Good point.......mine flaked off the first year I had it. I do like the way it sounds though....
tod914
I was quite happy with mine too.
rjames
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 14 2012, 08:16 AM) *

FYI: You should post a want-ad in the classifieds and save some money over buying a new one. You could always buy a used one and have it ceramic coated for less.

BTW: I like the street quiet, I had one on mine when I had a 4...then upgraded to a Triad (deeper sound).

agree.gif
I think I paid $25 for mine. I like the look and sound over the NOS muffler and a monza that I had for a short time.
somd914
It's all about personal preferences, what's good for one isn't good for another... I have the quiet street, soon to be replaced with a Triad system - the Bursch isn't loud, actually a nice compromise in that it is loud enough to know there is an engine there but not loud enough to draw a lot of attention, but the tone at idle brings back memories of my mom's 74 Beetle which is not what I have in mind for my car.
bigkensteele
I posted a muffler thread not too long ago about my Bursch. I have the loud street, and I don't like it. Too loud and doesn't sound all that good. This is a 2.0 setup on a 1.8. I would go with the combo street quite. That way, you can unbolt just the muffler portion and buy the glass pack if you want to go louder.

I don't listen to my radio much either, but I found that I can't even hold a conversation in the car with mine.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=muffler
McMark
..then upgraded to a Triad (deeper sound).

agree.gif

I like the triad. drooley.gif
maf914
I used a Bursch quiet for several years and was relatively pleased with it. Yes it did get rusty. If I were to go back to it I would have it blasted and coated or painted with a high temp paint. I found the sound level to be acceptable, not too loud. I would go with the quiet combo, which would let you unbolt the muffler and maybe experiment with with some other aftermarket mufflers.
Gint
Hell, I didn't know Bursch had a web site. I prefer the triad myself. I've had both.
aharder
I have had a quiet on my car for 8 years and I've always like the sound. It's not to loud and it's not to quiet. smile.gif I have painted it a couple of times. mad.gif And I plan on getting a Triad in the future biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.