Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Classifieds RSS Ads from eBay and Craigslist
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Looks like it's time again to explain what a RSS import is and why it's a complete waste of your time to respond to an RSS imported Ad here on 914world.

First, an explanation of RSS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS

In simple words, it's a standard that computers can use to exchange information. Most often used for news tickers etc.

We use it here to scan eBay and Craigslist for Ads that have the two keywords "Porsche" and "914" in it.
We then receive a copy of those Ads and turn them into a short thread/post here on 914world.

The two classifieds subforums for this are:

eBay - 914 related Ads (RSS)

CraigsList - 914 related Ads (RSS)

Now, here's the important part:

Because we copy those Ads from eBay and Craigslist, the original poster has NO IDEA that his Ad was copied to 914World!
The only way you will ever be able to get in contact with the seller is by clicking on the "View the full article" link on the bottom of each Ad which will take you to the actual Ad on eBay or Craigslist.
If you reply to the post here on 914World, your message will be lost in space since the seller will never know.

To make the above point as clear as possible, i added the following to the bottom of each Ad:

THIS IS NOT A 914WORLD AD!
Do not reply to this thread! No one is listening!

Click on the "View the full article" link above to go to the actual Ad!

Any questions?
biggrin.gif
smontanaro
Got it. Can someone go do a PPB (Pre-Purchase Bludgeoning) on the guy with the Chevy Tahoe?
914itis
We need this guy to go away . He's annoying .
SirAndy
QUOTE(ppetion @ Feb 14 2012, 11:02 AM) *
We need this guy to go away . He's annoying .

Report him to Craigslist ... shades.gif
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif
Bob L.
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Feb 14 2012, 12:24 PM) *

Got it. Can someone go do a PPB (Pre-Purchase Bludgeoning) on the guy with the Chevy Tahoe?

How did that one get approved by "unanimous decision" of the forum moderators?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Feb 14 2012, 12:47 PM) *

Exactly what part of "It's automated" do you not understand????
confused24.gif
URY914
Are there members that find this useful?

Did members ask for this feature?

Do members not know how to view eBay and CL?

Is it worth clogging up this site for this shit?

Is it worth all the time and effort to have this feature?

Just asking.............. shades.gif

wingnut86
Hey,

Give Andy a break.

I can appreciate geeks because I are one.

P.S. Sir Andy, all hangings will commence on schedule at noon (this is an automated message, once the handle is pulled, the hatch door cannot be closed without removal of the previous...ummm, suzpended lump)

happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif sheeplove.gif
gil914
This feature should go away. Every crap 914 in the tri-state area shows up. I keep buying them. Then I throw my back out pushing said crap off the trailer. Now I'm posting to the forum on Valentine's Day night. I'm just hoping I can get back to the dog house soon because sleeping in a clapped out 914 isn't looking fun....

ar15.gif type.gif

wingnut86
Hey, I've got a pretty 72' with pristine 30 year old rust, never been welded on, needs a good home.

I'll ship her North for $0 dollars + $2500 for shipping WTF.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 14 2012, 05:13 PM) *

Yes

Yes

Yes/No/Maybe

???

Yes

I'm not sure i get the "clogging up this site" comment? The RSS feeds are in their own subfolders ...
popcorn[1].gif
JRust
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 14 2012, 07:26 PM) *

I'm not sure i get the "clogging up this site" comment? The RSS feeds are in their own subfolders ...
popcorn[1].gif

I realize the guy is annoying. Thing is if it bugs you that much it is simple. DO NOT USE THE FEED slap.gif . Why in the heck are you giving Andy crap about this. It's a sub forum option. The only way it can be annoying is if you go there & open it. If you subscribed? Unsubscribe screwy.gif Problem solved
914itis
QUOTE(gil914 @ Feb 14 2012, 09:13 PM) *

This feature should go away. Every crap 914 in the tri-state area shows up. I keep buying them. Then I throw my back out pushing said crap off the trailer. Now I'm posting to the forum on Valentine's Day night. I'm just hoping I can get back to the dog house soon because sleeping in a clapped out 914 isn't looking fun....

ar15.gif type.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif
URY914
QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 14 2012, 09:17 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 14 2012, 07:26 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I realize the guy is annoying. Thing is if it bugs you that much it is simple. DO NOT USE THE FEED slap.gif . Why in the heck are you giving Andy crap about this. It's a sub forum option. The only way it can be annoying is if you go there & open it. If you subscribed? Unsubscribe screwy.gif Problem solved

It does clog up the "view new posts" feature. You don't have to go to the sub forum to see them. This has been stated several times. I NEVER go to the sub forum but I still see the ads in the "view new posts" list. So you are wrong. Why you decided to jump in to this I don't understand. confused24.gif

I simply asked Andy some questions about it, and he answered them. I don't see it as giving Andy crap. Now that he has said people ask for this feature and use it I guess it is here to stay.
URY914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 14 2012, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 14 2012, 05:13 PM) *

Yes

Yes

Yes/No/Maybe

???

Yes

popcorn[1].gif

As it has been said over and over and over it clogs up the "view new posts" feature.
Bob L.
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 14 2012, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Feb 14 2012, 12:47 PM) *

Exactly what part of "It's automated" do you not understand????
confused24.gif

Not looking to stirthepot.gif , But,
Maybe the statement at the bottom of the posts is confusing...

"Posts from this account are representative of a unanimous decision from the 914World admin team, which consists of:

Rusty - Gint - RoadGlue - SirAndy - McMark - Eric_Shea - ClayPerrine - Vacca Rabite"

I was wondering how the Unanimous decision Was automated?
6freak
to all admins .... Thanks for what you do .. smile.gif
MikeC smile.gif
Bob L.
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 15 2012, 09:04 AM) *

to all admins .... Thanks for what you do .. smile.gif
MikeC smile.gif

agree.gif
I hope no offense is taken.
Thanks for the "World"
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Feb 15 2012, 06:57 AM) *
Not looking to stirthepot.gif , But,
Maybe the statement at the bottom of the posts is confusing...

"Posts from this account are representative of a unanimous decision from the 914World admin team, which consists of:

Rusty - Gint - RoadGlue - SirAndy - McMark - Eric_Shea - ClayPerrine - Vacca Rabite"

I was wondering how the Unanimous decision Was automated?

Are you for real?

The user account used to post the RSS ads is called "914World" and has member number 1. It is used by all admins, hence the tag line on the bottom of each post from this user account.

Do i really need to explain this or are you just playing dumb? I don't get it ...
confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 15 2012, 03:43 AM) *
As it has been said over and over and over it clogs up the "view new posts" feature.

Ok, i get that part. Unfortunately, it's not an easy fix. I will have to hard-code an exception for those forums somehow.
type.gif
wingnut86
...you Da Man Andy.

I hope we can meet up at a 914 shin dig some day.

If not, maybe CES in 2013/14

beerchug.gif
JRust
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 15 2012, 03:39 AM) *

It does clog up the "view new posts" feature. You don't have to go to the sub forum to see them. This has been stated several times. I NEVER go to the sub forum but I still see the ads in the "view new posts" list. So you are wrong. Why you decided to jump in to this I don't understand. confused24.gif

I simply asked Andy some questions about it, and he answered them. I don't see it as giving Andy crap. Now that he has said people ask for this feature and use it I guess it is here to stay.

I hear you. I don't use the view new posts feature. Guess that means not to use that for a bit. I jumped in on it as it sure seemed to be people jamming Andy up. I appreciate all he & the Admin's do. I didn't realize the view new post feature even existed headbang.gif . That damn guy on Craigslist has been bugging me on my personal google feed for 914 stuff. So it isn't like I don't think that a$$hole needs to be dropped of a building. Stinking scammers just piss me off to no end.

So I apologize for the oversight of the "view new posts" feature. Learn something new everyday smile.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.