Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going to D.C. (maybe in the 914) from S.Carolina!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Tomorrow I am trying to decide to take a chance on a fairly long drive- about 10 hours one way from my place in South Carolina toWashington D.C. - i have a conference there Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

I would be spitting the drive in 2 parts on the way up, about 6 hours wed night, then the rest with a couple stops on thursday. before getting into D.C. that evening.

, Then getting together with Chris-(BANUS914) in Fredricksburg on sunday before heading back for some 914/928 driving(maybe a pre-purchase test drive too).

The question is should i take the 914?

IF i do this i thought it would be good to get some names and contacts along the I95 corridor -

wanting to stop at Scotty B's if timing works out - there is a car i plan on test driving there locally as well, so (going to tranny clinic there in April too!)
-maybe get a quick jack point rust repair estimate for near future,

Car is a 75 2.0 with stock FI, but many , many new parts has been running very good, just got a newly re-tuned and sealed MPS that i have been dialing in this week- all seems well! but you never know

All new seals- so no leaks
brakes and suspension's all really new, new tires
exhaust and H.E. newer.
Since having issues with electrical connections in the harnesses, since replacing the FI harness with a new one from Jeff Bowlsby, and a refreshed igintion harness from him, i have had zero problems, driving almost daily- drove to work today in the rain!!

. last long trip i took was to Daytona last fall - thats 5 hours down no problems

So please pass along any wisdom for such a quest, contacts etc.

thanks

Phil
DRPHIL914
Admin-please move to the garage-- OOPS, dont know how i did that?--
Thanks.

PW
zymurgist
I'm not on your route (70 miles NW of DC) but I know there are some good folks in NoVa.
JmuRiz
I'm good and buying parts and not getting around to installing them biggrin.gif
SUNAB914
No snow in forecast, but some rain Thursday.
jimkelly
take a regular car with cruise control.

save the 914 for hershey or ECC 2012

jim
OU8AVW
I drove my 1969 Karmann Ghia from San Fran to Memphis, back to San Diego, back to Memphis, back to San Diego and then on Dead tour. After that I had to torque the heads and do a rear main seal. biggrin.gif
I say go for it.
timofly
Phillip,

A decent 914 on an Interstate cruise should not have any big issue. It's a little off your track, but I have a home in Williamsburg VA if it doesn't go well.

Tim
dlee6204
Pack plenty of spare parts and enjoy the drive! thumb3d.gif
hot_shoe914
I drove mine 18 hours non stop to Kansas to the Buttercup build. I say go for it. driving.gif
type47
Stop by if you need help (or even if you don't). Located 15 mi W of DC off Rt 66.
billh1963
Go for it!

How often do we have an opportunity for an adventure these days?
jimkelly
enjoy the drive? IT'S I95 huh.gif and it's a business trip.

that said - if you decide to slide thru delaware - stop in milton for some burgers and beer chowtime.gif

30two24nine804seven
geniusanthony
In Alexandria, PM for contact info
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 15 2012, 07:06 AM) *

enjoy the drive? IT'S I95 huh.gif and it's a business trip.

that said - if you decide to slide thru delaware - stop in milton for some burgers and beer chowtime.gif

30two24nine804seven

Jim, thanks for the offer. - I am stoppingg by Scotty's tomorrow, should be able to see your project live. ! I could use a few parts though, maybe I will wander over thatway to see the sights, burgers and heater j-tubes or what ever- the last one I got was pretty bad
poke.gif j.k.
I'll see what the weather is, too bad its not a month later, id be bringing my clubs with..

But that part of I95 I have driven before, can be pretty bad, and with the weather forecast I decided to drive the jag. Maybe next time. Its not the distance so much. I think this car could go 1000 miles easy . But leave it in a parking garage I did not want to do.

But I that you for the advice, and the contacts, younever know what might come up.

Pw
flipb
I'm not much help with mechanicals but I have some basic tools if a need arises. I live within 2 miles of I-95, just before you reach the Beltway. There's also a very good shop near there (just off exit 166A) where one of the mechanics drives a 914. (In fact, my car is there now.)

Bonus: I'm also Philip.

PM if you'd like to exchange contact info.

EDIT: Just saw that you aren't taking the 914... well, offer stands esp if you change your mind. I could join you at a GREAT Cars & Coffee Sat morning if you'd have time.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 15 2012, 09:28 AM) *

I'm not much help with mechanicals but I have some basic tools if a need arises. I live within 2 miles of I-95, just before you reach the Beltway. There's also a very good shop near there (just off exit 166A) where one of the mechanics drives a 914. (In fact, my car is there now.)

EDIT: Just saw that you aren't taking the 914... well, offer stands esp if you change your mind. I could join you at a GREAT Cars & Coffee Sat morning if you'd have time.

Thanks for the offer, depends on the time of the cars and coffee. That would be cool. If it is early. I have to be back at the hotel for meeting by @930

flipb
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 15 2012, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(flipb @ Feb 15 2012, 09:28 AM) *

Thanks for the offer, depends on the time of the cars and coffee. That would be cool. If it is early. I have to be back at the hotel for meeting by @930

It starts very early (there are cars there by 7:00) and runs until 9:30 or 10:00. It's at least a 1/2 hour drive from downtown - here's the location. For a taste of what often shows up, here are some photos.

I don't know if I'll have my 914 back by the weekend, so I might have to show up in the DD if at all...
SUNAB914
A jag! I'll be picking you up 4 sure. haha. have a safe trip, let me know when you are in area.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Feb 15 2012, 11:31 AM) *

A jag! I'll be picking you up 4 sure. haha. have a safe trip, let me know when you are in area.

Well its a 04, baby jag-x-type(ford) 90kmiles bt has been a really good car.
I've only had to do the water pump/thermostat, -its my wife's d.d.. i'll give you a ring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.