Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear 5 lug conv. question..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
opera guy
im going to do the 5 lug conversion on my 2.0.. gonna drill the rotor in the front bc it seems that works out ok.

my question is regarding the rear. i am in the middle of negotiation about a set of 911 rear hubs. naturally, they are 5 lugs already. do i just take the 914 hub out and slap on these 911 hubs? ( i have a set of rear bearings already bee in the freezer for a few weeks).

or do i need ot get the stub axle changed too? see pic
SirAndy
you'll need 914/6 stub axles to fit a 911 hub. they're expensive.

or you can redrill your /4 hubs for 5-lug ...
wink.gif Andy
Mueller
or you can use early 911 axles...do a search here, someone just a few months ago listed all the parts and years needed....a spacer is needed as well which is available from a member on here.
BIGKAT_83
Use a spacer like this to use the 911 axles on the 901 trans axle.

I used these with 89 c4 axles and 911 hubs and vented rotors. I made a extra set when I made mine.
Steve
I dug this up from previous threads.

Early 911 stub axles 4-bolt CV
901-332-232-00

Early '69 to '74 Axles CV assemblies
911-332-033-08

Sportomatic drive flange for tranny output. Course spline. This has a slightly deeper dish than the regular 901 output flanges and allows you to bolt the entire assembly up without having to use a spacer.
(70-73) 901-332-209-15

Here is what to look for... 4 bolt ( if your CVs are 4-bolt). Course splined, tranny out put flange, from 901 or early 915 transmission.

The large end of the flange that bolts to the axle is cupped. The desired sporto output flange has a deeper dish (about 1/4 to 3/8") or so. It is obvious when comparing the two. This is the desired one. It's this extra depth that allows you to use this combo without a spacer.

Or you can you can run standard trans hubs with the regular 901/915 course spline. The .250 difference is split between two CV's which ends up being .125 on either end.The CV's have enough play that you can do this NO problem. We beat the piss out of them in race cars and V8 conversion cars with NO failures.

The early 911 (69-71) hubs use the same wheel bearing as the 914-6 (and 914-4).

Some people recommend the sporto trans hubs but others said the extra spacing is not needed and you can use standard 901 trans hubs.

The adapters also look way cool and look to be a lot less hassle.
I have heard that the renegade adapters leak unless you use permatex with the gasket.
The renegade adapters use bus cv and axles.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.