Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do You Ship A Rusty 914-6 Overseas.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racerbvd
A few have asked how in the heck did I prepay & ship that Rough, matching numbers 914-6 back home to der Fatherland,

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

more pix here.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...9512&type=1

well, here is how, photo documentation:D

Well, a project this big, and apart needs planning.. And when the engine is apart, the easiest way to make sure none of the major bits get lost is to semi put it together..
IPB Image
Lay out the parts,
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
Eric_Shea
Alright... who was it that asked? confused24.gif biggrin.gif
racerbvd
After laying everything out, taking pix(and sending them in "real time" to the buyer in Germany, you figure what goes back in the engine & what gets boxed.
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image
Now, since the P&Cs are long gone, and were completely useless(for me to say that gives you an idea how bad they were... So how do you mount the heads??
IPB Image
Like those composite cylinders...
IPB ImageIPB Image
The parts that don't go back, get bagged, boxed and this too gets photographed to make it easier for the new owner to know where everything is.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The engine almost looks run-able rolleyes.gifIPB Image
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Time for the exhaust..
IPB Image
racerbvd
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 14 2012, 12:44 PM) *

I had a few PMs, someone from the Carolina's on this board, and a few others on PP.

Carbs & air cleaner back on..
IPB Image
IPB Image
And now time to start packing & loading the engine parts in the car.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image
After bagging & boxing, shrink wrap & tape the boxes, place them in the trunk, again, taking pix & sending at each step.. IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
this car didn't floors:DIPB Image
So I had to get creative..IPB Image
So anything that could be bolted on was.. And bumpers, shift-rod & drivers seat, being to big for the trunks, and no floors made it one more challenge,
IPB Image
big zip ties & shrink wrap to the rescue...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
GeorgeRud
That poor car came down the line 11 cars after mine! I think it has had a much harder life than my car has endured!
billh1963
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 14 2012, 02:44 PM) *

Not me! I promise! biggrin.gif
kconway
I am quite amazed someone would spend the money to have that shipped to Germany. There must be very few survivors over there that are left...

Good sale! I'm sure your glad to have that pile gone. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Very nice work and Bon Voyage little six.
JmuRiz
I still think this'll be the PCA raffle car for next year...hahaha. The 911 they did this past year was REALLY rough too.

Good work on packaging it up and selling it!
Smitty911
Was that car used in a MIL-STD-810 Salt Spray test?

Someone is going to have to spend some serious coin to clean her up.
pete000
Wow that is one for the restoration shop at the Porsche factory.

BAM ! 200 grand later and you will have a brand new 914-6 !

Those New Jersey winters were not friendly to this one !
Valy
I like the PVC cylinders.

But overall, it would be simpler just to melt it down and send the metal bars to Germany.

Not much can come out of that body...
racerbvd
QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 14 2012, 01:20 PM) *

I am quite amazed someone would spend the money to have that shipped to Germany. There must be very few survivors over there that are left...

Good sale! I'm sure your glad to have that pile gone. biggrin.gif

A restored one just sold for $80K in Germany, this can be done for less than that, plus, there really isn't too many left with the correct matching parts..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Front trunk..

IPB Image
Note, the spare is screwed down...
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image

These bad boys aren't cheap or easy to find either..
IPB Image
rhd914
I had one like that once, I felt the shipping manifest should have read, "iron oxide sample". Even down to the Fred Flintstone floor......
kconway
I smell a VIN swap in the works...
wingnut86
...the "reason" Carolinians ask these questions is because we are relieved to find out that someone likes rusty bits more than we do.

Yo, Bubba, watch me sell my rusty parts back to the original owners beer.gif
racerbvd
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Loading on the carrier to take to the shipper:cheers:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

pt_700
thank goodness for the belt holding onto that truck driver's waist, no?

would be interesting to see what ends up happening to the poor old girl. if no vin swap, perhaps a build thread?
Drums66
QUOTE(Scotti @ Feb 14 2012, 01:51 PM) *

Finally sold that roach piratenanner.gif drunk.gif beer3.gif barf.gif

.....Can dig those roaches! laugh.gif (truly blessed) smoke.gif
poke.gif bye1.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Feb 15 2012, 04:36 PM) *

thank goodness for the belt holding onto that truck driver's waist, no?

would be interesting to see what ends up happening to the poor old girl. if no vin swap, perhaps a build thread?

I asked the new owner (listed as condition of sale, LOL) that I get updates on her. He has restored a lot of 356s, and I'm told that this is in much better shape than many 356s that he has restored welder.gif
FourBlades
Dang, I wanted that car!

It would be no harder than the IMSA car I am doing now.

I must be learning though because I am not buying any more projects until I finish some.

Glad to see someone is restoring it.

John
charliew
80k won't even get that car half way. A vin change is in that cars future, I would bet on it if it was local and documented. 150 would be a challenge on that tub at a real shops prices. Thats not counting the driveline. A german banker must have bought it for a investment.
racerbvd
QUOTE(charliew @ Feb 16 2012, 09:40 AM) *

80k won't even get that car half way. A vin change is in that cars future, I would bet on it if it was local and documented. 150 would be a challenge on that tub at a real shops prices. Thats not counting the driveline. A german banker must have bought it for a investment.

Just wondering, how many cars have you restored or had restored???
Elliot Cannon
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif av-943.gif
pete000
QUOTE(charliew @ Feb 16 2012, 08:40 AM) *

80k won't even get that car half way. A vin change is in that cars future, I would bet on it if it was local and documented. 150 would be a challenge on that tub at a real shops prices. Thats not counting the driveline. A German banker must have bought it for a investment.

I agree, I would imagine all they wanted was the engine block, paper work, and the chassis numbers.

Quick identity swap to a donor car in Germany. Too bad he has to pay to ship it all over. Could have done it in on small box much cheaper !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.