Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 72 won't start-Help please!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
I have had starting trouble with my 1972 for a long time. I have tried several things, some things 2 and 3 times, but still cannot get the ignition to work.

A little history - About 2-3 years ago the car would sometimes just not start using the ignition switch. I could push start the car or short across the solenoid and get it to start. The car would eventually start using the ignition switch. The timing was random and didn't have anything to do with the car being hot or cold. Sometimes after not starting I could get it to start just a few minutes later and other times it would start right up after sitting for days.

Things that I have done - swaped the starter with another used starter but it still did the same thing. I changed the white ignition switch about a year ago. I thought that that had fixed the problem, but after a couple of months it started doing the same thing. I cleaned the battery posts, clamps, all terminals that connect to the battery terminals. I've cleanded the ground strap that connects to the body near the battery, and the body to tranny ground strap. I've cleaned the terminals that connect to the solenoid. The battery is not great but I have a charger/start booster that i use also.

Any suggestions on what to try next???
SirAndy
it's usually three things to look at, either the starter or the switch or the relay board.

the switch can be tested easily by turning it and have someone else use a volt-meter to see if you get anything on the yellow wire to the starter ...
if you get voltage but the starter still doesn't crank suspect the starter.
if you don't get voltage, check the relay board.
you can do this by checking to see if you get voltage on the incoming connector (closest to the firewall), just take the top cap off, you don't have to remove the connector.
measure and see if you get voltage on the yellow wire.
if yes, it's the relay board, if no, suspect the switch ...

hope this helps,
wink.gif Andy
Doug Leggins
Thanks Andy. I'll give it a try when I get back. The wife wants to go for a ride in the other car....
Doug Leggins
I checked for voltage on the yellow wire at the starter and got 11 or 12 volts. I changed out the starter and still no start with the ignition switch. Gettin a bit frustrated!

It started right up using the screwdriver.

Any other ideas on what I can do to get this ignition to work???
seanery
sorry to hear this doug sad.gif
tracks914
QUOTE(Doug Leggins @ Sep 6 2004, 04:02 PM)
I checked for voltage on the yellow wire at the starter and got 11 or 12 volts. I changed out the starter and still no start with the ignition switch. Gettin a bit frustrated!

It started right up using the screwdriver.

Using the screwdriver across the solinoid on the starter?
sj914
i had the same problems back when I had my '72. It looks like your relay board might be bad. The contacts inside the relay board are all riveted on and then sealed. From what i found on my 72 when I took mine apart was that the contacts eventually corrode or the rivets just get loose. What you could do is try to bypass the relay board by splicing in a yellow wire from the main harness to the starter(for test purposes) to see if it makes a difference.
Engman
agree.gif with Andy. Also check the wiring crimp on the end to the solenoid - make sure it grips the connector tightly and that it is attached to the wire correctly.

M
Doug Leggins
I changed the female spade terminal on the yellow wire that attaches to the solenoid. Still won't start using the ignition. Double checked the voltage when the key is turned - its reading between 11 and 12 volts to the yellow wire at the solenoid.

I tried a couple of other maybe not so good ideas confused24.gif
I hooked up my battery charger/start booster to the starter and solenoid. Positive lead on the positive solenoid lead that the battery cable is attached to, negative lead on the starter attachment bolt. This is how I tested the starter before it was attached to the car. THis time I just hooked it up while the starter was installed. Turned the key and still no start.

I'm at a loss. I've got power from the switch. I've applied 12V and ground directly to the starter, but still no start.
86motoman
Don't know if this would help or not...I don't know much about 914's, but when I bought my 914 it had a hot jumper wire going to the second to rear relay on the power board. It was connected to the 87 pin. I replaced the power board fuses and it has been working since.
Tab914
Do you have the logik relay under the passenger's seat?
Engman
I know you must have a spare relay board - it sounds like there is a voltage drop somewhere in the circuit and this is the prime candidate. Try swapping it out.

M
BatAc
Try a Bosch starter relay kit. In fact look up "Bosch starter relay" on this site in the search for info. Good Luck. smilie_pokal.gif
Doug Leggins
Some progress and now another set back.

The good news is that I can now get the car to crank using the ignition!!! The problem ended up being a combination of the ignition switch and the relay board. Yesterday i switched the ignition switch and the starter still would not engage. Today after trying jumper wires around the relay board with no success, I decided to try the other ignition switch again. Today it worked and the starter cranked at least for the first few times. Then nothing again!!! By this time I was pretty familiar with the wiring through the relay board. So, I wiggled the wires a few times and the ignition started working again. Seemed like a bad relay board as Mark suggested so i took the relay board off and was shocked at the appearance of the bottom side. After looking at the bottom I now understand why it was causing trouble. All of the sealing material had been removed and some poor soldering work had been done YUCK!

The set back is that the car now will not start - DAMIT!!!

With the replacement relay board the fuel pump will not operate. Switched back to the original, bad condition relay board to see if it would work. With this board the ignition gets the starter to crank-very good! It gets the fuel pump to work- good! But now no spark and the engine will not start... headbang.gif

One thing fixed something else broken! I have a Pertronix and a MSD. My fear is/was that I have fried one or both of them. I was able to check the MSD per the instruction booklet and it tested good-WHEW! Maybe I fried the Pertronix???

Any way to test the Pertronix unit?

I really suck at electronics! But I am learning a little.

Here's a pic of the underside of the relay board.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.