Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice on building my 2.0L engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74porsche914
So a month ago I stumbled upon a 1973 2.0L 914 short block engine on Craigslist that has had the heads refinished and paid $300. This heads were refinished over 20 years ago by Fischer Porsche, which is a very reputable shop in Chicago. Engine only had 47,000 miles before rebuild and was pulled from the car in 1979 for a restoration which was never completed. I am putting this engine in my car and would like to build it up a bit (maybe mild cam, pistons, etc.), but I am definitely on a budget as I only work during the summers and pay a ridiculous amount for tuition. How would you guys recommend I go about this? I would maybe like to use my current 1.8L L-Jet injection system as it was recently replaced by the previous owner and works excellent, but am also considering duel Webers. Also can I use the majority of the parts I am missing, off my 1.8L engine? I know the fuel injection system is different but are the other components I am missing universal? I was gonna leave the engine at stock specs but I like to see some significant performance increase to make this swap really worth it. Please educate me as I am a newbie when it comes to 914's! huh.gif
76-914
QUOTE(74porsche914 @ Feb 14 2012, 04:09 PM) *

So a month ago I stumbled upon a 1973 2.0L 914 short block engine on Craigslist that has had the heads refinished and paid $300. This heads were refinished over 20 years ago by Fischer Porsche, which is a very reputable shop in Chicago. Engine only had 47,000 miles before rebuild and was pulled from the car in 1979 for a restoration which was never completed. I am putting this engine in my car and would like to build it up a bit (maybe mild cam, pistons, etc.), but I am definitely on a budget as I only work during the summers and pay a ridiculous amount for tuition. How would you guys recommend I go about this? I would maybe like to use my current 1.8L L-Jet injection system as it was recently replaced by the previous owner and works excellent, but am also considering duel Webers. Also can I use the majority of the parts I am missing, off my 1.8L engine? I know the fuel injection system is different but are the other components I am missing universal? I was gonna leave the engine at stock specs but I like to see some significant performance increase to make this swap really worth it. Please educate me as I am a newbie when it comes to 914's! huh.gif

welcome.png If you spend much time here you will see that the carbs vs. FI is a highly debated issue. Most people are reporting carb problems related to the ethynol content. If you choose to go FI to carbs prepare to spend as much converting as you would repairing the FI plus you'll need a cam change. The stock cam is set up for FI. Want to cruise the mountains. Carb adjustment. Want massive HP out of your type 4 then you'll want carbs. Better gas mielage with FI. There are some sharp cookies here that can assist anyone (and I mean anyone lol-2.gif ) in resurrecting an old FI system. welcome.png
74porsche914
If anyone has any experience with upgrading a 2.0L engine running L-Jet injection that would really be appreciated.
McMark
Carbs are the cheaper solution. If you're on a tight budget, go that route. Even a complete L-Jet system could likely need and AFM and rebuild injectors at the least. If you've got a short block, doesn't it already have a cam? Are you going to break it down? There are some nice grinds for carbs, and 96mm pistons and cylinders will get you to 2056. Those are nice engines. Simplicity is key in sticking to a budget, IMHO.

Good luck!
74porsche914
I already have an L-Jet system which I could take off my 1.8L engine and use with the 2.0L so it would basically be free for fuel injection. The injectors were also replaced 2 years ago.
Montreal914
2.0 low budget upgrade... popcorn[1].gif
Valy
keep the L-jet!
Elliot Cannon
Carbs.
TheCabinetmaker
This one is easy. Keep the 1.8 in the car running while making the 2 into what you want. The Ljet is better capable of handling a larger displacement and more aggressive cam than the Djet. Do some research and find the best combo that would work well with the Ljet and still work well with carbs.

I would also tear down the top end to check the rings, piston, and cylinder condition. I would want to have a look at those heads too.
CG-914
welcome.png
L-Jet is easier than D-Jet!

I'm a student to and had the same problem!

Than if you work on a tight budget:

There is a cam from WebCam in Cal that is compatible with fuel inj,
but run your mechanical lifters, the hydro lifters are barf.gif , even though it is suppose to work with mechanical lifters!
Caution: You need also the WebCam Cam gear with it!

Than, if you work on a tight budget the Mahle European pistons with 8:1 compression give you 12 hp but do not require other big upgrades.

Double valve springs are something nice to: http://www.csp-shop.com/cgi-bin/cshop2/fro...Valve%20Springs

Also the oil relive pistons from Weltmeister are helpful for autocross.

Then a counter balanced crankshaft http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/a...bsec=Crankshaft

Good luck with your engine!

Would like to see more, when you go ahead!
74porsche914
Thank you cg-914. I'm definitely going to research that setup.
Prospectfarms
L-jet in a 2.0...

All relevant. Be sure to look at the post describing Root_Werks l-jet conversions.
74porsche914
I've done some extensive research today and am probably going to go with either kb pistons w/ my stock 2.0L bored cylinders or mahles if I can find them cheap enough. I am going to use a Jake Raby Cam and valves. Anyone have any experience using stock cylinders with kb pistons.
74porsche914
Also decided I am just going to stick with my L-Jet injection system as there are alot of guys running it very successful in 2.0L engines.
76-914
pm Al, aka Als914. He has the 2056 w Ljet and discovered a little trick w/ the air flow sensor.
patrick3000
If you are on a budget keep the 1.8 in the car and add a set of SSI heat exchangers. Make sure that the 1.8 engine is working well and keep it in tune.

Part out the 2.0 engine the rebuilt heads are worth a few bucks as well as the crank, rods and case. Use the funds to keep the 1.8 running well smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(74porsche914 @ Feb 15 2012, 10:19 PM) *

I've done some extensive research today and am probably going to go with either kb pistons w/ my stock 2.0L bored cylinders or mahles if I can find them cheap enough. I am going to use a Jake Raby Cam and valves. Anyone have any experience using stock cylinders with kb pistons.

You have made a wise and informed decision. Send the heads to Len.

I'm running the same setup with djet. Lots of fun. You can probably go with an even better cam with the ljet. Jake will "suggest" the proper cam for you.
74porsche914
I am already set on using this 2.0 as I would like to have a fresh that I can push a little when I want. My current 1.8L is a good engine but it is original to the car and is a bit tired.
74porsche914
Thank you 76-914. I'll definitely ask him.
Bleyseng
This is so easy!
Stick with the Ljet and get Jake's valvetrain upgrade with 9550 (or whatever the latest version is called) and get 115+hp out of a 2.0L.
The Ljet is super easy to adjust the AirFuelRatio on.

I run Ljet with a 9550 cam in my 2.0L bus, sweet setup.
74porsche914
Is the valve train upgrade necessary if my valves were already replaced when my heads were done?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.