Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Los Angeles Area Members
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Hello,

I am new to the boards and trying to find out if there are a group of owners in the Los Angeles area that get together and drive, talk, BS, drink, fall down, whatevever.

I tried a local PCA event, but I was the only teener there.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Bob
Try the SanDiego PCA club.....many active members and the biggest AX and DEs around.....
http://www.pcasdr.org/home/index.html
drew365
I know there are lots of 914's in L.A. I drive a lot and usually see two each day. I don't know of any organized get togethers here though. The POC has a full schedule of track events at Willowsprings so if your interested in getting some track experience say so and I'll post a phone #. They don't do rides in the country or social events though. Just lots of track time.
Now that I think of it, Dave B. the owner of TRE in North Hollywood organizes a large rally every New Years morning and I think one other time of the year. He drives a 914-6.
kdfoust
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ May 3 2003, 08:52 AM)
Hello,
I tried a local PCA event, but I was the only teener there.  

Yeah most people have shit for taste in Porsches wink.gif

PCA SDR AX events will have 6-12 914s every time of various flavors, stock to full race. There's a 914 cult out in San Bernadino at Glenn's shop (watch the Pelican Parts board for notices of those gatherings). There's a get together next weekend in Long Beach.

I went the TRE rally last new year's day. My avatar is a pic from the rally of my car.

We're out and around and not really organized in the LA area.

Have fun anyway,
Kevin
Aaron Cox
im an hour out of LA. i drive through dana point occasionally during the summer on the way to saltcreek beach. we(people in southern CALI) should start a group similar to roadglue and have drives and get togethers. anyone want to step up and be a leader?
Zeke
QUOTE(acox914 @ May 3 2003, 10:40 AM)
anyone want to step up and be a leader?

I'm trying.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=108634
campbellcj
Where in LA are you? It's a big place...I'm in the Northwest corner (near Ventura County line) and always up for meeting more 914 guys. beerchug.gif

The PCA LA Region sucks, and several other regions in this area suck too, just not as badly. smash.gif OCR and SDR are probably the best as far as "events" go. They actually have some MDB2.gif

Most of the 914-friendly events are really put together by individuals, like the Don & Glenn meets and various 914Club/Pelican/Rennlist inspired gatherings.

I am fairly involved with POC in the Short-Track series and probably soon will dive into the Time-Trial series too, if you want to give some track driving a shot. Streets of Willow is a real blast of a little course, and only about 1.5 hours outside of LA.
KaptKaos
All,

This is a good response. Let's try to attend Milt's (Zeke) get together next week and go from there.

Milt (Zeke), thanks for the effort. I will be there with bells on!

Thanks,
Joe
Brad Roberts
Um... Milt ??

You couldnt post it here also?? I have about 3 reasons to drive to LA and could possibly make the event while delivering a 3.0 engine to a 911 guy.

I found out about this a little late.

B
Zeke
Brad, two reasons I didn't post here. I don't like people who cross post and, up until recently, most 914CLUB posters seemed to be more or less located other than SoCal, ChrisC. and Drew365 not withstanding. But even they are more than an hour away. I didn't thnik the thing would take off like it has. I may run out of room for cars! LOL

(There is a church parking lot right behind the donut shop, we may all end up praying ohmy.gif )
Brad Roberts
I was actually disappointed that you didnt post here first/also.

90+ members on this board are from the LA area.

B
campbellcj
Milt, I *think* I can make it. Sounds like you're not too far from the old "Tweeks"?
Gint
I don't like people who cross post

Why?
Zeke
Sounds like I have a bit of explaining to do. Ginter, I am not an expert on the concept of a BBS. My own observation is that each board has a personality of its own. I try to be part of the theme, be helpful and not be too much of a smart ass (which has gotten me in trouble more than once since elementary school).

Over the last 3 years, I have used the Internet extensively to gleen information to build 2 cars, one a '44 Jeep w/ a SBC and the 914. A year and a half ago, I disocovered Pelican, Rennlist, STF and a couple of others which I suspect died. During that time I have become familar with a lot of poeple who post regularly. The heavy hitters, like Jake Raby and countless others (so don't feel slighted) are not redundant. They move thru the boards and stay on topic. Most of the readers go to all the boards. Some stick around a favorite more than others. And some spread their quests everywhere as if they were fishing with multiple poles at once. That just gets things confusing and is needless. I say pick the best, most appropriate board and post your question/info there and leave it at that. My opinion, plain and simple.

Brad, I'm sorry you feel that I slighted you and this board by not posting the gathering here first/simultaneously. I didn't put it on Rennlist or STF either for the above reasons. I started on PPBBS before this BBS was up and have something like 1700 posts. I wasn't trying to play favorites. I didn't realize that there were 90 SoCal members here. But if you read my first post about the gathering, it says that I met 2 914 owners in a week thru Pelican. And I got my idea about a gathering because of this. Pelican seemed like the appropriate place to post the idea.
Gint
I think I can understand that. Not that you need my permission or understanding. I was curious though, so I asked.

Personally, I never liked Pelican that much, I did like rennlist (I've met a LOT of friends though that list). My bias was probably based in large part on the fact that I prefer email lists to web based boards, but this one added enough ease of use in addition to the ability to post pics that I was finally converted.

I know when it comes time to sell off parts to fund my "rusto", I will post ads everywhere I can (especially for free).
Zeke
QUOTE(ginter @ May 5 2003, 07:29 AM)

I know when it comes time to sell off parts to fund my "rusto", I will post ads everywhere I can (especially for free).

Now that's a different story, LOL

And what's weird is how many people who are not on the Net. They don't know any of this exists. I mean they have computers, they just don't use them.
Gint
And what's weird is how many people who are not on the Net. They don't know any of this exists. I mean they have computers, they just don't use them.

The guy that's going to fix my rust is like that. He builds street rods and 914's (he owns an original /6 and a conversion, and is also restoring and hand fabbing panels for a 356 Abarth coupe). He says, "My wife has a computer and does all of that stuff". He knows all of the primary vendors, but doesn't have clue about 'puters or the net.
KaptKaos
Milt,

Any news on the address or directions for the get together this weekend?

Please post.

Thanks,
Joe
Malmz
I have put a few together in the past. Been flakey recently since my car was down last year. We usually concentrate on areas close to canyons and Hooters though! smile.gif

I'll have to see what Saturday looks like. A little rough this weekend for us married folk w/ Mother's Day on Sunday though.

There are some previous drives (and other crap) listed here http://www.malmz.com/signatur/drives/

sm
KaptKaos
Milt,

Thanks for putting the get together on in Long Beach this weekend. We should do some driving next time. What do you think? When do you think?

Thanks again.

- Joe
Zeke
I am toying with the idea of having a breakfast at the Long Beach marina the morning of the Belmont Shore Car Show in Sept. The car show is free to all spectators and located on 2nd Street. They close down the whole street for over a half mile. Four rows of cars, about 800. Over 60,000 people shoed up last year. Best to do this early.

There is a free shuttle from the marina to the show. We would have an early breakfast while they set up the show. I would have someone to watch the P-cars while the owners are off to the show so you can lock up and leave for a couple of hours. Getting out of Long Beach by noon is good idea. Drive where you want after that.
Malmz
Sorry I couldn't make it Saturday. Too much to get together for a Mother's Day BBQ Sunday... Give us some good notice next time you put something together and we'll get some people to drive down from north of LA.

So was there an event synopsis posted anywhere and/or pictures?

I would like to put another driving event together in the Santa Monica mountains before too long. I'll let everybody know when and where.

sm
Zeke
QUOTE(Malmz @ May 14 2003, 07:14 PM)

So was there an event synopsis posted anywhere and/or pictures?

Not a synopsis, but some pics here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=1870&hl=nickie Anyone know what a synopsis is? blink.gif Kidding.
Joe Bob
We will be doing a Santa Barbara back woods run again soon......last run we had over 20 cars. Mostly 911s, but the 914s are invited as well......
KaptKaos
Milt & Mike Z,

I am game for both the show in September and a SB Backwoods run. Please keep me posted!

Thanks,
Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.