Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Registering a vehicle that hasn't been registered for 30+ years
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
euro911
I was checking out the California DMV site, but still didn't find an answer to my specific question.

The only thing I found even remotely close was this:

How long does DMV keep records on vehicles and vessels?

The department began microfilming all vehicle and vessel documents in 1992. This increased accessibility of these records. There are some records dating back to 1976 that may be accessed. Records with no activity, such as tickets, renewals, transfers, etc., are usually purged from the database after 4 years.

I have a car here that has not been registered for more than 30 years. When I took the car off the road (due to extensive and expensive repairs being needed), I stopped registering it. Back then, things like 'PNO' (Planned Non Operation), 'Past Due Fees and Penalties' were not in effect.

I have a clear title in my name, but several years ago someone told me that it would be easier and less expensive to go to the DMV and start the process as if I didn't have any documentation at all blink.gif

On the DMV's site they do have an on line form to fill out that would provide estimated registration fees, but I'm leery of entering the plate # as it may cause something detrimental to occur sheeplove.gif

Has anybody out here recently registered a vehicle in California that has not been registered for a great length of time ... and what was the outcome? confused24.gif
ConeDodger
I'm not sure what definition of screwed you are referring to. I'm told by them, that an unregistered vehicle falls off the computer radar at 3 years. So no fees.
What hoops they might make you jump through may seem a bit like being bent over and sheeplove.gif
Series9
You guys need to take control of your government. That's ridiculous. screwy.gif

If you don't register a car here, you don't get to drive it. That's it.

Paying non-op registration, and owing back registrations from previous owners is just plain crazy.

Kalifornian's rise up! happy11.gif
SLITS
If you have:

1.) Certificate of title
2.) Last registration card
3.) Both plates associated with the above

You can apply to keep the plates and bring the vehicle license up to date with the old plates. It will take somewhere around 6 months to do so (Yeah, I did it with the Grey Ghost accompanied with a Bill of Sale from the person that owned it). Since you owned it, the Bill of Sale is not necessary. You will have to fill out a some forms certifying you are a "Collector" and you won't drive the car until the DMV approves use of the plates.

If you want to just register it, take the paperwork and plates to the DMV, pay the money, get a VIN check (by the DMV or a Peace Officer in YOUR city (if they will do it) or a licensed VIN Verifier ($60 - $120). I don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't like paying back registration fees.
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(SLITS @ Feb 15 2012, 08:38 AM) *

If you have:

1.) Certificate of title
2.) Last registration card
3.) Both plates associated with the above

You can apply to keep the plates and bring the vehicle license up to date with the old plates. It will take somewhere around 6 months to do so (Yeah, I did it with the Grey Ghost accompanied with a Bill of Sale from the person that owned it). Since you owned it, the Bill of Sale is not necessary. You will have to fill out a some forms certifying you are a "Collector" and you won't drive the car until the DMV approves use of the plates.

If you want to just register it, take the paperwork and plates to the DMV, pay the money, get a VIN check (by the DMV or a Peace Officer in YOUR city (if they will do it) or a licensed VIN Verifier ($60 - $120). I don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't like paying back registration fees.

agree.gif

That is a good description of the SOP when, seven years ago, I had to re-register a Cadillac stored 50 years in Monterey County. The process I ended up pursuing was a little different and may help explain the advice you received to "start over" with the registration process.

I was told over the telephone that the "late fee" (35 years late) for the DMV and CHP portions of the registration was less than $100. No sweat, but then I realized the Cadillac didn't have plates. Since the original DMV files for the Cadillac were probably lost or deleted, I assumed the Cadillac was essentially "undocumented" and chose to pursue "antique or custom" vehicle registration. To do this I was required first to obtain a VIN check via the county sheriff. AAA was my go-to resource for this since when I called local law enforcement directly they were uninterested in helping (no hard feelings, given the flare-up of street violence in Salinas at that time).

"Antique" cars are 39 years old in California (1973).

I don't know whether you need actual plates to follow The "Slits" procedure, I do know that re-registration in the manner he described will require fewer steps. Also, total fees differ between counties, and when the fee schedule is different, the procedure may change as well.

I'm interested in knowing what you discover. Good luck.
computers4kids
If the DMV decides they want some $ because you are the owner just wanting to bring the car back on the road....then...
sell the car to me for a $1, I'll sell it back to you for a $1 in a couple months.

Normally, I like cars that haven't been registered in over 4 years...way easier in CA to register and cheaper. This case may bit a little more complicated.
Mark
JStroud
Purchased a 914 last year, hadn't been registered in 13 years. With the title, and original Plates you will have no problem. If it's out of their system, which it is, you will only pay fees from the date you first go to DMV, they will require a vin verification most DMV offices do it. Then you will have file a form for reassignment of original plates, if you have both plates, in good condition with the plate no. showing on the title it should not be a problem. Once you start finish the process in a timely manner, the first time you go to DMV you will start accruing fees from that date, and you can not put a no op on an incomplete transaction. Ask me how I know. Also the car must be "complete" to get the vin verified. Engine in ect.

Hope this helps
Jeff
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Series9 @ Feb 15 2012, 04:25 AM) *

Paying non-op registration, and owing back registrations from previous owners is just plain crazy.

We have DMV rules and fees (and damn fine roads), you have hurricanes and strange guys with banjos. I'll take the DMV any time.

The Cap'n
tradisrad
My current car was off of the road for 25 years. I had a bill of sale, a statement of storage from the PO. I did not have a title.
It was a piece of cake to get it back on the road. Pay my fees and have the car inspected. Don't worry it will be easy!
monkeyboy
My car hadn't been registered since 86. I have AAA. I took the car down, it was inspected, and it cost me less than a hundred dollars to register. No fees, no mess.

If you can swing it, I prefer AAA. They treat you like a customer and not a crook. The only thing they could not do was apply to keep my old plates. That has to be done at a DMV office.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 15 2012, 07:21 AM) *

We have DMV rules and fees (and damn fine roads), you have hurricanes and strange guys with banjos. I'll take the DMV any time.

The Cap'n

av-943.gif One of the first things that struck me when moving to Reno was how the roads were in such great condition. After a while you get used to it and forget how bad the road conditions are in California. Then, you go back just for a weekend and - WOW!!! Sorry Cap'n. The roads are terrible and going to get worse... You're right about the strange guys with banjos though. I just saw a guy sitting by the Truckee river in downtown on Virginia Street the other day playing a banjo... biggrin.gif
euro911
Sounds like it might not be as bad as I originally thought. We do have AAA and the gal I dealt with registering an out-of-state motorcycle in '09 was really cool.

The car is currently in storage, but I plan to transport it to a restoration shop, have it striped to bare metal, suspension pan and minor body repairs and painted. The drive train has already been removed and dismantled, so I probably won't be able to register it in it's current condition (although it's not hard to imagine throwing an engine/tranny install BBQ) biggrin.gif

If that's not do-able, I'll chance transporting it in an enclosed trailer, because I probably won't be able to obtain a '1-day moving permit' the DMV requires either dry.gif

I'll run this past AAA before attempting to deal with the DMV.

Thanks for all your replies beerchug.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Feb 15 2012, 06:52 AM) *

I don't know whether you need actual plates to follow The "Slits" procedure, I do know that re-registration in the manner he described will require fewer steps. Also, total fees differ between counties, and when the fee schedule is different, the procedure may change as well.

I'm interested in knowing what you discover. Good luck.

The plates are REQUIRED if you want to keep them (original black or blue) along with the other stuff. Like I said, it took them 6 months to approve their use (Yes, I called "sackofpotatoes" several times during the process to track it).
Prospectfarms
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 15 2012, 11:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 15 2012, 07:21 AM) *

The Cap'n

av-943.gif One of the first things that struck me when moving to Reno was how the roads were in such great condition. After a while you get used to it and forget how bad the road conditions are in California. Then, you go back just for a weekend and - WOW!!! Sorry Cap'n. The roads are terrible and going to get worse... You're right about the strange guys with banjos though. I just saw a guy sitting by the Truckee river in downtown on Virginia Street the other day playing a banjo... biggrin.gif

I agree with Cap'n. I've lived in the Bay area and Central Florida. Visited Tahoe/Truckee/Reno area many times. Road comparisons between them is apples and oranges. I should keep my opinions of the efficacy of the respective local governments to myself, but theres no shortage of screwy.gif in Volusia County. BTW, in CA and FL, DMV is not involved with road construction and maintenance funds. Don't know about Nevada.
SLITS
Nobody lives in Nevada so their roads don't wear out. If there was hell on earth, Reno, Las Vegas are first ... Phoenix is second.
SLITS
Go here for the information on old vehicles ........

Collector Car
oldschool
So true..Once you start finish the process in a timely manner, the first time you go to DMV you will start accruing fees from that date, and you can not put a no op on an incomplete transaction. Ask me how I know I once try to get my 1968 jag done .(it was never reg. in the USA,) the dmv said it could not be reg. because of some safety thing. Any way I called sop. And got it done.....the clerks at dvm don't know much,and less about classics. my.02
mrholland2
My local Cali DMV gave me a 30 day temp while I sorted out the VIN check and other junk. This was for a car brought into the state thought. But I can't imagine just a one-day permit? Of course, I did start the whole process when I got the 30 day deal, but it still was easy peasy. Go to Mt. Shasta, CA and talk the to guy with the very thick glasses, he's very easy to deal with. (I'm sure that helps if you are 400 miles away)

QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 15 2012, 08:32 AM) *

Sounds like it might not be as bad as I originally thought. We do have AAA and the gal I dealt with registering an out-of-state motorcycle in '09 was really cool.

The car is currently in storage, but I plan to transport it to a restoration shop, have it striped to bare metal, suspension pan and minor body repairs and painted. The drive train has already been removed and dismantled, so I probably won't be able to register it in it's current condition (although it's not hard to imagine throwing an engine/tranny install BBQ) biggrin.gif

If that's not do-able, I'll chance transporting it in an enclosed trailer, because I probably won't be able to obtain a '1-day moving permit' the DMV requires either dry.gif

Andyrew
The rule of thumb that I have heard is that after 10 years the vehicle is out of the system and has to be put back in. Therefore any paperwork you have that says that you are now the legal owner (BOS works perfectly..) and the vin number and they will issue you a temp registration. To complete it you will need to go to the DMV for a Vin, mileage, and light check (basically to see if its fit for road use..). Then once they see that, you get the tags and are free to go.

This is how a friend of mine did his car last year.
monkeyboy
Same as mine. The only addition I have is that they will run the VIN against the CHP database to make sure it isn't stolen.

No big deal.
Elliot Cannon
The DMV in California is nothing more than a money collecting agency. To get good answers from people who truly know the law, go to the Highway Patrol and AAA.
Tom_T
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 15 2012, 08:32 AM) *

Mark,

I'm in the same boat as you, & my local AAA (Anaheim Hills office) couldn't help much & referred me to DMV, since mine has been out of the DMV system for over 10 years. CHP also tends to refer you back to DMV on these issues. dry.gif

I've had no PNO since 92, & I haven't done much since checking in 09-10 since I'm pulling it apart for the repair/resto & couldn't do the VIN check - or didn't want to with it half apart & not running nor streetable (or don't want to chance it with OPD coming to house to verfy & CSOB to pay since I won't need it registered until resto completed). DMV never sent me the PNO renewal in 92 - which occurs on 12/26, so an easy date to overlook - & when I called the next following business day (for them) they told me it was my fault & it would cost $2000+/- + smog check & DMV inspection (with a non-running car by then - see avitar pic), etc., etc., etc. to get it back into the system as on the road with full fees, for a year before going back to PNO - so I told them sheeplove.gif !!!!

SLITS gave you the process & answer, along with some additional info from a few others - aside from the random "I heards" biggrin.gif poke.gif - so follow that DMV link.

Here is another topic on here with links which I found of use when I was researching this same issue:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=104349

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
quickcartags
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 15 2012, 12:02 AM) *

I was checking out the California DMV site, but still didn't find an answer to my specific question.

The only thing I found even remotely close was this:

How long does DMV keep records on vehicles and vessels?

The department began microfilming all vehicle and vessel documents in 1992. This increased accessibility of these records. There are some records dating back to 1976 that may be accessed. Records with no activity, such as tickets, renewals, transfers, etc., are usually purged from the database after 4 years.

I have a car here that has not been registered for more than 30 years. When I took the car off the road (due to extensive and expensive repairs being needed), I stopped registering it. Back then, things like 'PNO' (Planned Non Operation), 'Past Due Fees and Penalties' were not in effect.

I have a clear title in my name, but several years ago someone told me that it would be easier and less expensive to go to the DMV and start the process as if I didn't have any documentation at all blink.gif

On the DMV's site they do have an on line form to fill out that would provide estimated registration fees, but I'm leery of entering the plate # as it may cause something detrimental to occur sheeplove.gif

Has anybody out here recently registered a vehicle in California that has not been registered for a great length of time ... and what was the outcome? confused24.gif

Hello,

If I'm correct, you want to re-register your vehicle again. What are your concerns? I own and operate a registration service in West Covina. I'm always open to help others with their DMV questions. Below is some basic information you need in order to register your vehicle if it has fallen off record.

California DMV calls your type of transaction as a vehicle without a record. Currently, DMV records fall off after seven years. In order to register your vehicle, you will need the following:

*A California Title
*A completed Application for Title (Form Reg-343)
*If the title is not available, you can apply for a duplicate title (Form Reg 227)
* A vehicle verification - Required to verify the VIN and the emission info on the vehicle.
*A Non Operation Certification (Form Reg 102) Indicating the dates the vehicle was not operated to avoid back fees.
*Although this may not be necessary, you may want to submit what is called a statement of facts reiterating what you said on the Plan Non Op Certification form (Form REG 256)

You can get all of these forms on my website listed below. Feel free to contact me. You can reach me at my website listed below and click on Get Started

My name is David and I am the owner of All In One Registration Service. You can check me out at my website at Quickcartags.com

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.