Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Base 73 1.7 four or five lug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
wndsnd
US spec with steel wheels what lug arrangement as delivered?
sixerdon
First, all /4's came with 4 lug wheels.
The base model in 1973, w/o options, came with 4-1/2" x 15" VW steel wheels w/ logo-less chrome hub caps.
Optional wheels were 5-1/2" steel (similar design), 5-1/2" Pedrini, Fuchs, or Mahle.
You can see more pics in the locked threads on this forum.
BTW, welcome to the world.
Don
wndsnd
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Feb 15 2012, 09:14 AM) *

The base model in 1973, w/o options, came with 4-1/2" x 15" VW steel wheels w/ logo-less chrome hub caps.
Optional wheels were 5-1/2" steel (similar design), 5-1/2" Pedrini, Fuchs, or Mahle.
Don

Thanks Don
I bought a car in Bangor that has four flat tires. I need to find find some wheels and tires to borrow to get the car rolling for transport to Mass. Do you know of any locally?
Tom_T
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Feb 15 2012, 06:14 AM) *

Don

Don & Wndsun - all correct above, except that in 73 MY they went to the "Mag Style" steelies at 5.5 x 15 size 4-lugs (same as used on that year's Super Beetle - altho that one may have used the VW offset rather than 914 offset of 40).

Also - the Originality & History Forum has a nailed threat/topic on "Wheels & Tires" which has great info., and also look for the topics &/or posts in that thread by rfoulds of how he recently restored his steelies on his 74 1.8 (same as on 73 MY & thru 76 MY) which will tell you all you need to know to make your wheels look purr-fect!

welcome.png .... welcome to the madness! wacko.gif
sixerdon
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Feb 15 2012, 06:22 AM) *

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Feb 15 2012, 09:14 AM) *

Don

Thanks Don
I bought a car in Bangor that has four flat tires. I need to find find some wheels and tires to borrow to get the car rolling for transport to Mass. Do you know of any locally?

Is it possible to pump air in the tires that will hold long enough to get it on the trailer? Then when you get back home, pump them up again to get them off?
There are a few members that live up in your area that might have spares to use. But, try pumping them first before jacking the car up.
One member here is Jasfsmith who lives in Bangor. Send him a PM. Maybe he can help........
Don
sixerdon
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 15 2012, 01:10 PM) *

Don

Don & Wndsun - all correct above, except that in 73 MY they went to the "Mag Style" steelies at 5.5 x 15 size 4-lugs (same as used on that year's Super Beetle - altho that one may have used the VW offset rather than 914 offset of 40).

Also - the Originality & History Forum has a nailed threat/topic on "Wheels & Tires" which has great info., and also look for the topics &/or posts in that thread by rfoulds of how he recently restored his steelies on his 74 1.8 (same as on 73 MY & thru 76 MY) which will tell you all you need to know to make your wheels look purr-fect!

Tom, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that the "Mag Style" or 4 spoke (as I call them) steelies came out for '73 MY? My sources say it was '74 they became the "standard" wheel. From where is your source for this? Let's compare notes.
Don
PS: I didn't want to hijack his thread on this.
Sarastro

Tom, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that the "Mag Style" or 4 spoke (as I call them) steelies came out for '73 MY? My sources say it was '74 they became the "standard" wheel. From where is your source for this? Let's compare

The 73s had the same wheels as earlier models with the non logo, chrome hubs. The hubs were absent on the 74 and subsequent models.
sixerdon
QUOTE(Sarastro @ Feb 15 2012, 05:05 PM) *

Tom, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that the "Mag Style" or 4 spoke (as I call them) steelies came out for '73 MY? My sources say it was '74 they became the "standard" wheel. From where is your source for this? Let's compare

The 73s had the same wheels as earlier models with the non logo, chrome hubs. The hubs were absent on the 74 and subsequent models.

Yes, that's exactly the information that I have.
Don
wndsnd
Thanks guys. Don't. Worry about hghjacking the thread - It is all neat info to me. You are right if the tires hold air I am ok. Also I am not worrying about getting it on the flatbed they can just drag it on. I am more concerned about when it comes off in my drive with four flat tires and siezed brakes
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Feb 15 2012, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 15 2012, 01:10 PM) *

Don

Tom, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that the "Mag Style" or 4 spoke (as I call them) steelies came out for '73 MY? My sources say it was '74 they became the "standard" wheel. From where is your source for this? Let's compare notes.
Don
PS: I didn't want to hijack his thread on this.

Agree - mag-style were '74.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.