Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: car drives like a toad til 3000rpm then idles@2500
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
panthrogt
Carb'd 2.0

When the engine is cold i can rev it high and i comes back to 1000 quick.
When the engine is hot and i rev or drive it above 3000 rpm the engine will not go down to idle.The engine will stay at 2500 or higher .

when i drive the car it will not pick up speed until i have it above 2500.
It also diesels just a tad.

I think i may be running rich, (that explains the slow pick up and the dieseling)
But why the high idle.

*i just adjusted valves
* i have leaks(intake)
*new plugs
* i had retard the timing so the car will not idle at 1500rpm

any ideas

this car has been giving me a headbang.gif

thanks
lapuwali
If you have air leaks, you're not running rich, but lean. Dieseling is also a sign of lean running, not rich. You say you've retarded the timing, but not what you'vre retarded it to. Too much advance or retard is a bad thing. The high idle is almost certainly caused by the air leaks, as are some of your other problems. Fix those, and several of your problems will go away.

You can't just randomly poke at things hoping it will get better. Go at it systematically, fixing everything until everything is correct. No air leaks, ignition timing set to the proper (and known) values, etc.
nebreitling
QUOTE(panthrogt @ Sep 6 2004, 08:40 PM)

this car has been giving me a headbang.gif

Welcome to the Club!!!

agree.gif with above. you HAVE to address your car systematically or else you will pour needless time and $$ into it. set the timing per spec and leave it. make sure all vacuum lines are plugged in correctly and in good shape. see where you are then...

the most awesome site for learning about your car's fuel injection
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Sep 6 2004, 09:34 PM)

i'll second that welcome and the general advice. however, Line One of the original message:

> Carb'd 2.0.

so - what KIND of carbs.

when did it start doing this? did you just put on the carbs? what problem were you trying to fix? what was the last thing you did before it started acting like this? what are the venturii, main, idle, and air correction jet sizes? what kind of linkage, and who set it up? have the carbs been synchronised with a Synchrometer? what kind of distributor are you using? what is the timing set to? what kind of air/fuel ratio measuring equipment do you have access to ?

with that information we can start moving in the right direction ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.