Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safe electrical work without the engine running?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mercdev
(I'm knee deep in tracing and correcting the electrical on my recent project, so bear with me!)

Is there an alternative (read: safe) approach without the engine running? I'd like to do work on things like the lighting, radio, windshield wipers, etc. that obviously require current, without the car running. I'd prefer not to rely on just the battery for this and want to mimic the alternator's output amps for things like the hot-air blower, and the VPC A/C unit.

1. Will this hurt the injection system?
2. Can I disconnect the fuel pump (electrical) without damaging anything?
3. Can you use the "trickle" chargers in lieu of a battery?
4. Are there any products out there that produce the correct amount of current for a car that isn't running?

Words of wisdom from the guys who've all been there/done that are greatly appreciated!
sgomes
Actually, nothing can match the output current capabilities of your battery. I don't know what battery you have but my guess is it can source something like 100amps for many minutes. Try that with your alternator!

Why not just rely on your battery? I'm sure everyone on this board is tired of hearing me mention it, but my 914 is all electric. I don't even HAVE an alternator/generator/ENGINE! And right now I'm working on those things you mentioned: lights, stereo, wipers, turn signals, gauges, etc... My 12V battery is a group U1 by the way. You know, those little dinky ones that go in a lawn mower!

So I say, leave that noisy fume generator off and work in the quiet peacefulness of your battery. Just throw the trickle charger on it when your done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.