Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT So your friends think you drive a Funny Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
While looking at info on the worlds fastest electric car (245 mph) I found this...

Peel

The Peel range of 3-wheelers first appeared in 1962 at the London Motor Show. The Peel P50, was produced by Peel Engineering Company who were manufacturers of fibreglass fairings and boats at Peel on the Isle of Man. At just 53 inches (1.34m) long and 39 inches (99cm) wide the Peel 50 is currently the smallest 3-wheeler ever produced. With a top speed of 38mph and powered by a 49cc DKW engine it was designed purely as a single seat town car to carry one adult and a shopping bag.

The Peel 50 had no reverse gear, but at just 59kg (132lb) it was light enough to park manually using the handle provided at the rear of the vehicle.

Peel also produced a two seater 3-wheeler called the Peel Trident which also featured a clear "bubble top". Approximately 100 of each model were produced until the company ceased manufacture in 1965.

Info Link
Curvie Roadlover
This guy has to wear his watch on his left arm. If he wears it on the right arm, the car will tip over ohmy.gif
lapuwali
I actually saw one of these at a British car show last year. It was much like the second model (the bubble), except it was a convertible. You either dropped the top and stepped out, or you raised the entire body on it's front hinges, and stepped out. The tires make golf cart tires look like Top Fuel rear tires.
Dr Evil
Reminds me of that BMW for which I can not remember the name. It looks similar, and the whole front opens to get in or out.
plas76targa
That would be an Isetta (spelling?), if my feeble memory serves me correctly.
GWN7
How about this one from the Czech manufacturer Velorex. Tube frame. with snap on cloth panels. No need to do bodywork, just sew a new panel. biggrin.gif

The engines used were modified units designed for Jawa motorcycles. Early cars used a single or twin cylinder 250cc unit, later cars had a 350cc twin. All engines were two-strokes, air cooled, and mounted in the rear of the car.

Air cooled, rear mounrt....mabey a long lost brother.. wink.gif
lapuwali
Yes, the Isetta. However, where the Isetta's front opened much like a fridge door to let you out (and the steering wheel was attached to that door), with the Peel, 90% of the bodywork opens up and forward to let you out.

The Isetta wasn't really a three-wheeler, either. It has two back wheels close together. As I recall, the engine options were also a lot bigger than 50cc, and the whole car is substantially larger. I could see driving the Isetta on city streets. The Peel, however, would be hard pressed to out-accelerate a bicycle, and is about as visible as a person sitting on the roadway.

There's a club here in the Bay Area called the Arcane Automobile Society (or something similar, I have a card somewhere). Lots of oddball stuff like this, plus Morgan trikes, Messerschmidts, etc.
bryanthompson
There's a guy up here with an Isetta he brings to Cruise night... The funny thing is he's got a humongous train horn on it. It's hilarious... this tiny little clown car pulls up and just 'WHOOOOOOOONK'

This isn't his car, but i found a whole collection of pics of a really good looking one.
bryanthompson
another one
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.