Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear main seal removal tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
The Pelican article on clutch replacement recommends using a screw driver. I tried that tonight without much luck. Is there a better option?
Meoshe
I had good luck using a cheap pick set from harbor freight, they also have specialty tools to pull seals.
76-914
get a seal puller, they're cheap and look like a bent screwdriver.
markyb
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 15 2012, 07:08 PM) *

while we're on the subject of tools, any suggestions for digging out copper exhaust gaskets from the head? I surely don't want t damage the exhaust port!
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(markyb @ Feb 15 2012, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 15 2012, 07:08 PM) *

while we're on the subject of tools, any suggestions for digging out copper exhaust gaskets from the head? I surely don't want t damage the exhaust port!

Seal puller from FLAPS; good as gold and likely under $10

For the copper exhaust gaskets, I first start with a good 90 degree pick. Often times just a tiny bit of the gasket is sticking out past the port wall. Carefully grab it with a sharp pick and you can tug it out. If that fails, I have a VERY sharp chisel that I slowly tap at an angle to cut through the gasket. You have to be VERY careful but it's not that hard to do and then it just pops out. When using a chisel near a motor, you can't wield it like a neanderthal!!
billh1963
Okay...Looks like a cheapie tool it is! Anything has to be better than a screwdriver! headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.