Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gotta have more gauges!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschefool
This is ridiculous. I can't stand having one oil press idiot light anymore... I need gauges, dammit!
What I REALLY want is the 904-style combo gauge, but since it's cool, it's No Longer Available. Why is that always the case?

My question is: anyone got ideas for this? I'd like to monitor oil press, head temp, and voltage..I'm thinking a center console might be the best way to go, but would like to do something with that huge, unused space where the fuel/idiot light gauge now sits. I know pillar mounts are available, but a little too "Boy Racer" for me. (prob great for track, tho)
If I get a console, how hard is it to wire up? My 72 doesn't have the harness just laying there under the carpet..I see the PP catalog doesn't carry the double-pole 911-type oil press sender anymore..anyone else got a source?

Must...have....gauges!!

Is Tim Martin on this board?
Check out his custom 904 combo gauge:
http://www.talking-dog.com/914/98.html
givemebeer.gif
Bleyseng
I went with a 911 combo gauge and in the 2.0l console I have a gas gauge, CHT gauge and the volt meter. Works pretty well and keeps me informed of everything thats going on with the motor.

If you want pics I can post them too

Geoff
lapuwali
If you like the combo gauge, ring up North Hollywood Speedo. They can make one for you. Bring money.

There are lots of sources of VDO senders besides Pelican. Try egauges.com, for one. You only need to the double pole sender if you want a gauge and an idiot light.
porschefool
911 combo gauge sounds like the way to go, at least for the in-dash left side hole. Any particular year/model I should look for? I didn't know you could get a fuel gauge for the console, how 'bout some pics?

Is there a tech article somewhere on adding the console wiring?

Sounds like

CHT
Volts
Oil temp
oil press
fuel

will cover it for me.
As far as senders go, the CHT is a sparkplug thermocouple, right? Volt meter is obvious, oil press just needs the double pole sender (fitment problems? I'd like to keep the idiot light, does the 911 gauge have one?)
What about oil temp? Where does that go?
Aaron Cox
right now im runnung the 914/6 combo (fule and oil temp). it has the exra idiot light for handbrake etc...

i just purchased a 911 combo oil temp and press but now need a fuel gauge too.... hmmm
Rockaria
This is my solution:

IPB Image

Plenty of gauge room here! biggrin.gif
fiid
I made a combo guage by buying a 911 brakelight/temperature combo and moving the temperature guage into the place of the brake light section on a 914 combo guage. Now the only problem is where to put the brake light ( I know where it can be shoved mad.gif the damn thing never worked right. ).

My understanding is that this stuff is all available, just not from an ecommerce store like pelican. I would talk to Palo Alto Speedo, North Hollywood Speedo and HPH before I got too grumpy about it. You may find that the cost isn't something you want to work with, but thats a different problem.
porschefool
I forgot to mention: I don't want to spend a fortune.
I'm good with wiring, gauge hacking, etc...
I just wanted to see some different approaches. I wish I could afford one 'o them fancy 911-914 dashes!!

After all is said/done, I'd like to get white faces for everything.....
type47
oil pressure idiot light (as stock)
oil pressure gauge (VDO with dual sender)
oil temperature (stock gauge as installed in 2.0L w/o console, sender in "taco" plate)
cylinder head temperature gauge (VDO)

should be <$200
PorscheTom
Kind of sounds to me like you are looking for something like this...:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2488417173

Not mine, but I thought it was a cool looking item. YMMV.
dinomium
I think that most of the smaller gauges on the aftermarket panle would be obsured from view most of the time...

Now how did Tim get the face lettering done on that combo gauge he made?!?! confused24.gif
SirAndy
you want gauges?

IPB Image

btw. the then empty "911 clock" space has since been filled with a non-working 911 clock ($5) and will soon be hosting a CHT gauge.
and because i don't need no stinking clocks, i'm planning on re-using the console space for other gauges as well.

Dash, from left to right:

1. gas-gauge + oil-level
2. oil-temp + oil-pressure
3. tach
4. speedo
5. soon to be CHT

Console:

1. ??? (currently clock)
2. volt-meter
3. ??? (currently oil-temp)

wink.gif Andy
bernbomb914
There is a good solution one of our members makes a guage pod that fits the windshild column that will hold the extra guages you need.

Berne
porschefool
Allright, where do I get a dash like that? Is it a regular 911 dash?
I've got an email in to Palo Alto Speedo on their 904 triple guage, will let you all know. I suspect it'll be too pricey.
That ebay panel with the little gauges on the left is kinda funky....not sure if I like it. Wouldn't the steering wheel block it?

givemebeer.gif
morph
i really dont like the idiot lights that came factory with the car either.i wanted to "see "more of what was going on back there.i made this panel more for street driving.daily driver cars, it keeps you more informed,and is easy to install.if you have a smaller sport steering wheel,you do have to move youre head alittle to see one of the gauges.i designed it with a factory wheel in the car.
maf914
Hey Andy,

How do you measure oil level with a T4? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(porschefool @ Sep 7 2004, 12:20 PM)
Allright, where do I get a dash like that? Is it a regular 911 dash?

nope ...

mine is from getty design http://www.gettydesign.com/

you would need to buy 911 gauges of course. oh, and you'll need new sending units for the 911 gauges as well ...

soooo, if you're looking for the cheap route, that might not be it ...
wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(maf914 @ Sep 7 2004, 12:25 PM)
How do you measure oil level with a T4? confused24.gif

you don't ... biggrin.gif

but, because i'm still planning to get a six in there one of these days, i'll be nice to have then.
we think we figured out a way to use the 911 oil-level sender in a 914/6 oiltank ...

cool.gif Andy
porschefool
So Getty wants $250 for the dash, my old one is PERFECT (so I could probably get a few bucks for it)- throw a set of gently used gauges in, along with senders...I'm thinking around $500?

Will the 911 senders screw right into my 1.7?

Andy- how does your oil level gauge work? My 928 had a little float-type sender.
porschefool
Whoops. Never mind. No workee until sixer in, eh?
mueba.gif
Allan
Is there a thread or other resource to get step by step instructions for installing a CHT gauge???
bd1308
hijacked.gif

anybody know where to get a used CHT guage....$275 is alot a mulah for me to pay.
Joe Bob
I had a dual CHT and volt meter custom made for the 911 clock location....for like $175 from an aircraft company....I did a google on custom gauges....brain fart and can't remember the company that did it.....

OK fart busted...Westach...

westach
root
You can get any combo you want from these guys:
I just bought and installed a single CHT for under $80 with 4' lead.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/chtgauges.html

By the way it works fine, it's not fancy, handles vibration, light is extra. biggrin.gif
bd1308
i'm really sorry to hijack:

i've seen them * I THINK* for $100....somewhere. dont remember.
Rand
Westach looks pretty good, and Jake recommended them IIRC. Their web site is tough to use though, so you'll have to dig around to figure out what you want and what it costs.
Dave_Darling
Just in case someone searches for center console gauge wiring... And cause I ran across it recently...

The grey boxes are the branches of the wiring harness. Each branch is encased in grey tubing, though there isn't really a big open area where they all come together as is implied by the pic.

Anyway, I figured this might be useful.

--DD
bd1308
I thought you were gonna say pelican had them. I woudl have flipped.
StratPlayer
VDO CHT for 99 bucks
http://www.bugsandbuggies.com/vdo_mult.asp...&Series=Cockpit
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 28 2005, 06:49 PM)
hijacked.gif

anybody know where to get a used CHT guage....$275 is alot a mulah for me to pay.

who's trying to Rape you boy?! 63 at CB performace!
bd1308
i think it was auto-atlanta...... laugh.gif

j/k i cant remember who it was but damn i like the VDO thing better....

sehr guten guages...
markb
Wasn't someone going to be making repro 904 gauges?
bd1308
AA was.....then he flaked out on us rolleyes.gif
jfort
check out summit. they also have a "two holer" to use with an ashtray installation.
markb
Palo Alto Speedometer ( http://www.paspeedo.com/porsche914combi.htm ) shows a triple. Don't know if they're avaliable or not, tho.
Michael J
The Palo Alto Speedo. combo is a great solution for us who don't want to go to the effort of switching to a 911 cluster. Any one know the price?
groot
I've got a single VDO CHT guage and sender I could part with... now that I know my new system does it's job. First reasonable offer gets it.
groot
I have some other guages, too... OT (electrical VDO) and OP (mechanical-Autometer and larger than the standard VDO size)
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Michael J @ Jun 29 2005, 10:05 PM)
The Palo Alto Speedo. combo is a great solution for us who don't want to go to the effort of switching to a 911 cluster. Any one know the price?

Last I checked, it was $650. But it included the senders! (And maybe some Vaseline, too?)

--DD
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jun 30 2005, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (Michael J @ Jun 29 2005, 10:05 PM)
The Palo Alto Speedo. combo is a great solution for us who don't want to go to the effort of switching to a 911 cluster.  Any one know the price?

Last I checked, it was $650. But it included the senders! (And maybe some Vaseline, too?)

--DD

ohmy.gif

vaseline won't help that kinda hurt! astroglide won't even touch it...
Scott
So you want more guages...Here is what is waiting to go into my teener. On the panel (small guages) oil pressure and 2, yes 2 cyl head temp., one for each head. These were custom made by Autometer for me since they don't make them in the Phantom design and I wanted them to match the set. Large Tach and speedo. In the center console I have oil temp, fuel pressure (injected), volts, fuel quanity, and clock. ALL of these come with instructions and senders where applicable. The only catch is that all the senders are in NPT (national pipe thread). You either have to use a converter to metric or like with the head retap it for the npt thread. The only other thing is the Tach. If your running MSD you have to follow the instructions that come with the MSD stuff or your tach won't work.
Rand
I remember a thread a while back but can't find it...
Someone installed a really cool head temp gauge setup that used four senders (one under each spark plug) that all came back to one digital gauge that would cycle through all four (or let you select one) so you could monitor any/all cylinders with one gauge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.