Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheeler Dealers Inspiration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Was watching Wheeler Dealers tonight where Ed did some work on an old VW Panel Bus. There was a part where he put in a big bore P&C kit in the Type 2. After watching him pull the heads and the jugs/pistons, I got a little inspired to look up the process of P&Cs on a 1.7. It looks, well, deceivingly simple. Since the motor is still lying outside the car, is this something I could really do pretty cheaply? I've seen AA 96mm P&C kits for under 300 and I know I would need some 1.8 heads to go with it. But thats about it, correct? Did plenty of forum searches in the past hour, and that looks to be about it. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the motor as it sits, but since this is a learning process for me anyway, might this be something I should attempt down the road? Anyone have any good lines on a pair of 1.8 heads lying around?

Either way I'll probably get the car back on the road first (not too far from that now) to enjoy it. It only took me 2 hrs to drop the motor and tranny the first time and that was without a good place to jack it up! Needless to say, I'm gettin excited. On a side note, thank you all for the support so far. Its been a blast.

-George
Bob L.
I believe you can have the 1.7 heads machined to fit the larger jugs. Probably a good idea to check the guides and adjust the valves.
reharvey
Ed sure makes thinks look easy. It helps to have all new parts. You really need to have your heads rebuilt if you haven't already done so. 1.8 heads will work without having them fly cut for the larger cylinders and there are lots of them out there that can be had for a song.
Bob L.
I've read about people wanting 1.7 rocker arms. You may want to transfer them to the 1.8 heads.
Can someone please inform me(us) why are they better?
biosurfer1
Just watched that episode too, he does make that look extremely easy!

I looked up Edd's background a while back and it says he has extensive experience in the VW world so I'm sure that episode was a cake walk for him.

If you're interested, here is his wiki...pretty cool guy if you ask me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edd_China
monkeyboy
Just had it on. They skipped a lot of steps too. It's not meant to be a tutorial.

He does love the old air cooled VW's though. I am sure he knows his stuff.
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Feb 16 2012, 01:44 PM) *

I've read about people wanting 1.7 rocker arms. You may want to transfer them to the 1.8 heads.

The 1.7 rocker arm with a little grinding(0.40?) will accept the 911 Swivel Feet Adjusters..

Others smarter than me will prolly splain why 911 adjusters are better..
Steve73
Ed China needs to rebuild a 914 for the show! w00t.gif

And get a hair cut, i mean really....

.......Just Saying
reharvey
Just read Edds bio and can't believe all the things he is involved with! He loves air cooled cars so he's ok with me!
SLITS
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Feb 16 2012, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Feb 16 2012, 01:44 PM) *

The 1.7 rocker arm with a little grinding(0.40?) will accept the 911 Swivel Feet Adjusters..

Others smarter than me will prolly splain why 911 adjusters are better..

0.60" ..... they reduce the side loading on the valve (= less guide wear) and potential mushrooming of the valve stem head

but

costs $
Bob L.
Thanks! biggrin.gif
dangrouche
http://forums.aircooledtechnology.com/showthread.php?t=2328

Here is Jake Raby outlining the conversion of a 1.7 to a 2.0 liter
billh1963
QUOTE(Steve73 @ Feb 16 2012, 06:22 PM) *

He is...this Spring
Bob L.
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Feb 17 2012, 10:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve73 @ Feb 16 2012, 06:22 PM) *

He is...this Spring

I somehow doubt that we will see much detail. He often sends more complex out for repair and we just see the pull and reinstall. They could probably do a whole series on the 914(or just about any of the cars they've done), if they showed more detail.

I hope we're all pleasantly surprised.
Still, Can't wait.
Cevan
As I recall, Ed mentions in the show that the engine rebuild required a lot of time.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 16 2012, 01:44 PM) *

Just watched that episode too, he does make that look extremely easy!

I looked up Edd's background a while back and it says he has extensive experience in the VW world so I'm sure that episode was a cake walk for him.

If you're interested, here is his wiki...pretty cool guy if you ask me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edd_China

i saw one show where they bought a karmann ghia. he opened the deck lid and the first thing ed did was pull on the crank pulley. thats when i thought, hey he knows aircooled engines. he just checked the endplay for wear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.