Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT. Phone scam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
Angela and I were drinking coffee and watching the 5am news this moring when her phone rings. She didn't know the # so she didn't answer. When he called back two minutes later she answered it. He said he was calling about an aresst warrant for her. She laughed and said she had no warrants. He threatened to call the police and let them know where she was. She had on the speaker phone so I chimed in a said " if you know where she is why don't you come and get her your self? He never asked for money, but I have a feeling thats cause he never got a chance. I quickly took the agressor role and after a few choice expletives he hung up. Anyone else experienced this or heard of it?
Cairo94507
Unfortunately there are pieces of Sxxx out there who spend every waking moment trying to think up ways to steal the hard-earned money of folks like us. I say a long drop on a short rope....
nathansnathan
Here's a news story from arkansas

Officials said they fear many others could be scammed out of their money and identity.
Officials said the caller left a voice mail on the woman's phone telling her that a warrant had been issued for her arrest, and unless she called back and paid the warrant over the phone, they would show up at her house and arrest her.
The woman immediately called a lawyer and asked that this be checked into.
After investigating and calling the number left on the voice mail, lawyer Chip Sexton said he found the number belonged to Kingman Cole law firm out of New York. He said he later found out that this was not a legitimate law firm. He said they would not give him first names of the lawyers or an address for the firm.
Officials are warning that if you receive a call from someone claiming to be with this service to hang up immediately.
Officials said if an arrest warrant is issued, they usually notify the recipients by mail and will never ask someone to pay money over the phone.
Officials said if you ever get a phone call that you think might be a scam, do not give out any personal information and immediately call police.

Read more: http://www.4029tv.com/news/16846787/detail...l#ixzz1mYOijY2c

gil914
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Feb 16 2012, 09:10 AM) *

Here's a news story from arkansas

Officials said if you ever get a phone call that you think might be a scam, do not give out any personal information and immediately call police.

av-943.gif What a joke call the police. In grad school my house was broken into while I was in the house sleeping (afternoon, don't ask). I called the police and they said: "You can come down and file a report." I asked about fingerprints since I saw which door he went out, they laughed and said they don't do that any more. They would have lol-2.gif if I called and said I'd had a suspicious phone call.
Mark Henry
A scam going on here is a person claiming to be from microsoft phones saying that there's something wrong with your computer and they can fix it remotely for free. Once they have remote control of your computer they do a simple clean-up and then download a key-logger program. once they have your passwords they drain your bank accounts, run up your MC/Visa, etc.

All kinds of scams out there, here's a story of scammer telemarketers who prey on new small businesses, even though they have been convicted of fraud in 2007 are still in business. mad.gif
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/sto...complaints.html

ar15.gif SCAMMERS sawzall-smiley.gif
DBCooper
So your wife has a secret life? Cool.

charliew
I bet those crooks in montreal don't bother any local folks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.