Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New guy question??..Sportomatic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WildWheeler
Hi everyone...this is my first post....yeppy

I have not bought a 914 yet, but I have one in my sites.

Does anyone know how rare the Automatic / Sportomatic transmissions are?
How much are they worth if I find one?

Does anyone know who I can talk to about these trannys?..is where an expert?

I am in a wheelchair and my hand controls can only operate the gas and the brake.

Thank you very much for any help you guys can be,

Scott Tyson

Calgary Alberta Canada driving.gif
Bleyseng
Rare....as in maybe 3-4 prototypes 4's were made. Several sixes were made too.
Gary at PartsObsolete had one or two on the shelf when I was there 2 years ago... parts could be had from the 911 trannies to make them work.

Geoff
SLITS
From what I have heard, only two 914s were ever fitted with the Sportmatic. It may be that the VW is the same except for the tail cone, but I'm not that knowledgable on this subject.

Welcome to the club!!!
davep
Welcome, from another Canuck.
The sporto was ever available on a 914/6, and was extremely rare. I think there may be three in the US.
Auto Atlanta has or had one. There is only one in my list of serial #'s.
SirAndy
yupp, only seen one so far, which was a original /6 ...

wink.gif Andy
Mark Henry
I wonder if anyone has ever tried to adapt a VW T3 (or a bus) auto trans into a teen?

They are a Borg-Warner unit, quite tuff and it could easily handle 95hp. It would still need a lot of fab work, but some parts would bolt on.
bernbomb914
this has been hashed out before on this forum and the general consenus is the Audi 5000 auto would be the best unit to put in. but I dont know anyone who has tried.

Bernie
Mueller
welcome.......

you'd be better off finding an early 911 with the sporto or getting a newer ('90 or so they started with the tiptronic)

I've only seen one sporto 914-6 and that was in France
WildWheeler
Thanks everyone...I think I will try and find a sportomatic tranny that will fit.

If anyone knows of one for sale please let me know.

Scott
KenH
You can put a Sportomatic only in a 914 that has a 6 cylinder motor.

Any 914-4 can be converted to a 914-6.

You then need the Sportomatic Oil Tank, Pedal Cluster, Oil Pump, Oil Lines, Vacuum Control Valve, Special Throttle Linkage, Weber Carbs with the bases drilled to get the Vacuum, Vacuum Check Valves for the carbs, Flex plate/Flywheel, Torque Converter.

HPH has Sportomatics if Brad has not thrown them away.

Probably more parts but that is all I can think of right now.

Ken
bondo
Isn't the sportomatic like the VW autostick? (where you still have to shift, but no clutch is needed) Seems like things could get awful busy if you had to handle gas, brake, steering and shifting all with your hands. Perhaps a conventional automatic would be better?
KenH
Also need a Gear shift lever and tower.

Ken
kafermeister
...and the combo "oil pump"/"tranny pump" IIRC. Seems the 911 engine drives the pump from the end of one the cams. Someone could probably get a Type-I Autostick pump to work on a type-IV with little (or no) modifications. Don't forget the vacuum canister for the clutch actuator.

As Bondo mentioned. The Autostick and Sportomatic are the same technologies. Just different implementations.

Rick
Mark Henry
The bug auto-stick is a sucky trans and it can only handle 50hp without major upset. I still think the T3 (VW squareback, fastback or notchback) would be a better VW choice.

OR I don't know if the VW 411 and/or 412 came with an auto but it did have a T4 engine.

BTW I also don't know if you can flip the diff in an VW auto, like you can with a std trans.

Any choice you make will be a major custom fab job...

Hate to say it, but maybe a Miata with an auto trans might be a better choice (because of your condition) for a sportscar.
Bleyseng
Most 411/412 here in the USA came with a full auto trans. Yeah, if you could flip the diff it would work.

Geoff
kafermeister
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 8 2004, 09:17 AM)
The bug auto-stick is a sucky trans and it can only handle 50hp without major upset. I still think the T3 (VW squareback, fastback or notchback) would be a better VW choice. <snipi> Any choice you make will be a major custom fab job...

agree.gif

I knew (15 years ago) a guy locally with a full-auto Type-IV Beetle. The trans came from a Type III and the engine was from a bus. I'm not real sure how he got the two to mate together (flywheel considerations) but it was a real interesting ride.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.