Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running rough
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Angelface01
Just installed Pertronix in the stock vacuum advance distributor along with new cap, rotor, blue coil, and wires in my '73 1.7. Problem is that it is running rough, especially around 4500 rpm and higher. Does the timing stay the same (27 degrees BTDC @ 3500) with the pertronix or does it change? Any help would be great! Thanks. mad.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Angelface01 @ Sep 7 2004, 11:36 AM)
Any help would be great!

did it run fine before your tuneup or did you have that particular problem before?

i vaguely recall that the install of the pertronix into a stock FI dizzy required some minor smash.gif ...

cool.gif Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Angelface01 @ Sep 7 2004, 10:36 AM)
it is running rough, especially around 4500 rpm and higher. Does the timing stay the same (27 degrees BTDC @ 3500) with the pertronix or does it change?

it's not -supposed- to change...

you didn't mention if you retimed after the installation; if you didn't, you must...

another possibility is that part of the installation is fouling the movement of the breaker plate...
lapuwali
It's been my experience that fitting the Pertronix often shifts the timing some. They don't necessarily get the sensor it exactly the same place as the points. On some cars, it shifts by enough that you can't even start the car. Pull out the timing light and reset it.
Angelface01
the car ran ok before the tune up, I also replaced the ignition switch as well because I was losing all power while driving. I tried to get the timing the best I could, I know it needs to be perfected some, it's better with two people, than trying to do it alone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.