Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got my new welder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brett W
I just picked up my new welder today. Got a Millermatic 175, 80ci bottle and 10lbw of wire for less than 900 bones. Can't wait to get to welding but I have to find me a 230volt extension cord and finish building another motor.

In the next couple of weeks though I will be really having fun. Finish welding the turbo header for the honda, finish the 3 inch exhaust system for that car as well and then on to the teener. gonna do some more chassis stiffening, add openings and ducting for the oil cooler and come up with a different seating arrangement for the car. Can't wait to get to it.
TimT
Kewl for you!!

did you drop some coin and buy and auto dark shield?

welder.gif
sgomes
Keep us (or at least me) posted. That is the exact welder I was looking at getting for my first one. smilie_pokal.gif
Brett W
I have used the 145 and a Synchrowave 250 with great satisfaction. I can always get parts for it in just about any location in the country and they are easy to work with. I looked at
Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, HTP, Century, Hobart and found the price quoted by my local miller dealer the best of all brands and I know that this unit is a high quality unit with a major backing. You won't be let down. I as soon as I get the extension cord I am going to let her rip.

No I didn't buy the auto dark sheild. I am really bad about covering the weld with a glove for my spot welds and I have enough experience with a standard lid that I will hold off until I buy my TIG machine. For TIG welding I would rather not work with anything less than an autodarkening helmet but for MIG (and my budget) I am going to stick with the standard I already have. For now.
ThinAir
What about a grinder? There are lots of topics in the archives that provide advice on what to look for when buying a welder, but you need a grinder too don't you? What are the options for grinders and what should one look for?
Brett W
Look for one with some nuts. I have used some of the light wieght Harbor freight 17$ specials but they bog down when you really hit the hard stuff. I am going to be picking up something like a Dewalt or Milwaukee. Get something with 5-7amps i beleive. I may spring for one of those Harbor Freight specials for light jobs like body sheet metal.
ablose58
Hey, Brett, If I were you I would stay away from milwaukie grinders ,I do alot of grinding and I had 3 mils. go up in smoke when you push them! I think I would buy dewalt. and the higher the amperage the better smilie_pokal.gif
seanery
I've got a nice 4.5" DeWalt from Lowe's. I got the slightly heavier duty one for $79 that came with a case. I like it much.
Brett W
I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks for the heads up. I always thought milwakee made good stuff.
cha914
Brett,

You will really like that machine, I have the same one and it just goes and goes. The only thing I have seen happen is when your oaf of a friend borrows it and starts dragging it around by the torch it will start to pull out the front of the machine, causing very poor gas coverage...I guess its my fault for not having it on a good cart yet wacko.gif

I also have a 250dx for the TIG work and ended up buying a speedglas auto helmet...and I love it. I have covered the sensors a couple times when in very cramped places, but for the most part its a great helmet.

As far as grinders go, I have a 8.5 amp Millwalkee (sp?) and it has HUGE balls...the thing will not stop...got it at Home Depot I think about 6mo ago and it has already lived a hard life. So I hope it will hold up to the test of time...

happy welding!

Tony welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.