Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering making horrible sounds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
My steering wheel started to get play about 6 months ago. It started progressively getting worse. I have about 1.5 inches of play. But the worse part was yesterday while turning the steering wheel without the car moving I was getting horrible crunching sounds in the steering.

Okay, I removed the cover and I don't like what I see!

It is definitely the steering coupler. Lots of slop and one bolt has completely come loose! Not even threaded in! See picture! I was driving with only bolt intact! Wow, God takes care of the ignorant and stupid! No wonder it was making horrible sounds!

Okay experts, how do I replace this! The bolts thread from the bottom! How do I get to those? I hate it when a plan does not come together!

Should I use Threadlock when putting back together?

I also found the following coupler from Tangerine which I ordered: http://www.tangerineracing.com/steeringupgrades.htm

Any help will be appreciated.
76-914
that's just a shaft. go below, remove the cover - 4bolts. 1.5" slop as you rotate the wheel? or the shaft is loose?
jmill
To take it all apart you need to loosen the U joint under your dash and then drop the entire rack down. You might be able to get 2 bolts from underneath but I never tried it.

Check here for similer issues: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=coupler

Ooops - saw thats you too. beerchug.gif
JawjaPorsche
Thanks for responding.
914.SBC
Wholly crap...

I got your PM. Guess what I am doing?

Thanks a bunch.

beerchug.gif
jmill
Bend the tabs that lock the 2 upper bolts and remove bolts. That will free it from the rack. You'll then have to remove the allen bolts that hold in the bearing and try and pivot the shaft to get to the bottom shaft to coupler bolts. You might have to loosen the U joint under your dash to get enough play to swing it. Mark the joint and shaft so your steering wheel will still be centered.
JawjaPorsche
Thanks for responding. I will wait until I have new the coupler and then I will try it. I really appreciate your help.

QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 18 2012, 03:49 PM) *

Bend the tabs that lock the 2 upper bolts and remove bolts. That will free it from the rack. You'll then have to remove the allen bolts that hold in the bearing and try and pivot the shaft to get to the bottom shaft to coupler bolts. You might have to loosen the U joint under your dash to get enough play to swing it. Mark the joint and shaft so your steering wheel will still be centered.
scotty b
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 18 2012, 12:49 PM) *

agree.gif beerchug.gif
76-914
Dude, did you edit your first post or what? WTF.gif
wingnut86
If the problem is "inside the stearing rack itself", please buy a good used one from one of our vendors here or have someone rebuild it for you who's done so successfully before.

I have 6 used units, all in differing conditions. Spacing internally is critical if rebuilt, as well as proper bearings.

Good luck.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.