Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Wall Panel Rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914four
I have some rust in the rear wall panel behind the seats and I'm not sure about the best way to repair this area. The insulation in the engine compartment must have held water for years causing rust in the lower area. There are a couple of areas with small pin holes that may be patchable but I am interested to know if anyone makes a replacement panel. One Porsche dealer shows the rear wall part #91450201111 for $841.65. I've check the usual places but can't seem to find a replacement panel that might be more reasonable than the factory original part. So far it looks like my best option is to patch the small holes, seal and paint.

Anyone know of a source for a replacement panel at a reasonable cost?

Kelvin

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914werke
If its all above the seam sealer stripe I got a solution for ya!
IronHillRestorations
I may have one. I'm guessing you'll want to section that, not replace the whole thing?
TargaToy
QUOTE(914four @ Feb 18 2012, 05:54 PM) *

I have some rust in the rear wall panel behind the seats and I'm not sure about the best way to repair this area. The insulation in the engine compartment must have held water for years causing rust in the lower area. There are a couple of areas with small pin holes that may be patchable but I am interested to know if anyone makes a replacement panel. One Porsche dealer shows the rear wall part #91450201111 for $841.65. I've check the usual places but can't seem to find a replacement panel that might be more reasonable than the factory original part. So far it looks like my best option is to patch the small holes, seal and paint.

Kelvin

Can you highlight or get a closer shot of the rust you're concerned with? I don't think you're anywhere close to needing an entire firewall from how it appears. If the rust spots are isolated, I'd recommend carefully contoured DIY replacement sections.
jkb944t
I have been stalled on my restoration due to this same panel with slight pin holes from the insulation. The rest of the car is in great condition. I need the same panel or a good recommendation on repairing it.

Jeff B

Click to view attachment
914four
Can you highlight or get a closer shot of the rust you're concerned with? I don't think you're anywhere close to needing an entire firewall from how it appears. If the rust spots are isolated, I'd recommend carefully contoured DIY replacement sections.

The area needing repair is outlined with a marker on each side. It looks like a patch may be the best option.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
You can buy the panel. I have a brand new one that is coming with the car I am about to buy, same as yours. '73 2.0 Marathon Metallic Blue with a/c. I am going to be replacing the complete firewall.
Mike Bellis
You need to find someone set up for spray welding... Used for rust repair all the time, just harder to find near you...
http://americanstrippingsacramento.com/rustRepair.html
914four
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 19 2012, 01:44 PM) *

You need to find someone set up for spray welding... Used for rust repair all the time, just harder to find near you...
http://americanstrippingsacramento.com/rustRepair.html

This looks like a great solution for this type of problem. Anyone else using this?
daniel951
QUOTE(914four @ Feb 18 2012, 04:54 PM) *

Kelvin

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

auto atlanta sells a new one for 410.00 plus freight. i am putting one in my 73 as we speak. it is involved and difficult. danny
SCV
Just found a few holes in my firewall that are allowing water into the passenger compartment. A DAPO used seam sealer and a piece of aluminum to seal the area around the engine lid and rear trunk cable conduits. They even painted the aluminum and seam sealer. mad.gif There is also a hole in the firewall on the passenger side near the Hell Hole. Miraculously, the Hell Hole itself and structural metal in the longs pass the "screwdriver" test. The areas affected are small, and I don't think it's bad enough to warrant a new firewall, but finding the damage was a barf.gif moment. Time to get busy. welder.gif Good thing I have a welder and a desire to keep the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.