Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another one gone--71 914-4 at VaBeach PicknPull
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anderssj
I was at the Va Beach Pick n Pull today looking at a couple of 240 Volvos and came across this 914--first one I've seen there.

VIN = 4712913391
KAR# 2219506
K-LACK (paint code) L96F

The car was hit in the center of the rear; took out the rear lights, buckled the rear trunk lid, and the right rear fender. Trans and heat exchangers were already gone, as were steering wheel, instruments, shifter, etc. Most of the interior was pretty hammered, but both doors looked pretty good. Not much rust on them--none really--and the old style window winders seemed to work well. Might be worth the trip if somebody needs a door or two.

The early style belts looked OK. Cowl looked good too--didn't see any rust on either side below the windshield. Windshield was SIGLA/Pilkington, looked pretty new too, but there was a small crack across the lower passenger-side corner. Too bad . . .

Engine had been converted to a single center-mounted carb. Carb was gone, but manifold and other bits were still there. Fuel pump was there too (underneath)--aftermarket, but forgot to note what type.

Rear calipers still there; fronts too IIRC. Boge rear shocks--assume fronts are the same.

Painted bumper in front was pretty good (couple of dents), but it had an original front valance that was OK. Rocker covers were a little bent from when they fork-lifted in, but may be fixable.

I could see daylight in a couple of places where the floor met the inner longs.

I pulled a few little parts that I thought somebody might need--old style washer switch (button-type), early-style parking brake handle, some other misc. Let me know (I'll also post to classifieds later).

I took some pictures and will post them soon.

Best part was running into "wndsrfr" (John) at the yard. We had talked a little via this site, but it's always good to be able to meet the folks here in person.

All the best

Steve A-
SirAndy
QUOTE(anderssj @ Feb 18 2012, 02:59 PM) *
VIN = 4712913391
KAR# 2219506
K-LACK (paint code) L96F

The owner is a member here. He got rear-ended ...
sad.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 18 2012, 03:02 PM) *
VIN = 4712913391
KAR# 2219506
K-LACK (paint code) L96F

The owner is a member here. He got rear-ended ...
sad.gif

Found it ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=141802
anderssj
sad.gif

Crap, I thought it looked a little familiar . . . .

SORRY Adam!
mrbubblehead

I was at the Va Beach Pick n Pull today looking at a couple of 240 Volvos

steve were you looking for volvo calipers for your 914?
GaroldShaffer
If some goes to check it out again look and see if the rear hubs are the early style embossed ones. Those would be worth saving for someone that wants to drill them for a 5 lug conversion.
anderssj
Got enough volvo calipers in the garage (I think)--but with four 240s in the family, I'm always on the lookout. The boys tend to be a little harder on their cars than I am on mine.

I meant to check the rear hubs on the 914 but forgot.

IIRC, I pull the rear calipers, then the discs, then the hubs, correct? I'll have to figure out someway to break loose the big bolt on the rear. Right now there's no trans, no wheels, no parking brake, so I'll have to figure out a "counter" to keep the assembly from turning--maybe take some extra lug bolts and a long piece of pipe . . . .
BajaXJ92
That car will always be "the one that got away" sad.gif
VaccaRabite
Thought it might be Adams car when I saw the title. At least it is giving its parts so others will survive.
rick 918-S
Anyone think to purchase the engine? It was a known running car. If I were closer I would grab it. Put the F.I. back on it.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(anderssj @ Feb 18 2012, 07:05 PM) *

Got enough volvo calipers in the garage (I think)--but with four 240s in the family, I'm always on the lookout. The boys tend to be a little harder on their cars than I am on mine.

I meant to check the rear hubs on the 914 but forgot.

IIRC, I pull the rear calipers, then the discs, then the hubs, correct? I'll have to figure out someway to break loose the big bolt on the rear. Right now there's no trans, no wheels, no parking brake, so I'll have to figure out a "counter" to keep the assembly from turning--maybe take some extra lug bolts and a long piece of pipe . . . .

Yes you are correct.

If not to much of a PITA and they don't charge you a ton of $$ just pull the complete trailing arm. If you plan to keep the hubs for yourself it will still be a PITA to break the castle nut loose with the arm off the car, but at least you can do it at home instead at the yard.
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 20 2012, 11:40 AM) *

Anyone think to purchase the engine? It was a known running car. If I were closer I would grab it. Put the F.I. back on it.

The engine ran suprisingly great, even with that POS 32/36 Weber on it.

I may look into picking it up myself to build a 1911 for my Bus. smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Feb 20 2012, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 20 2012, 11:40 AM) *

The engine ran suprisingly great, even with that POS 32/36 Weber on it.

I may look into picking it up myself to build a 1911 for my Bus. smile.gif

Somebody needs to grab it!
anderssj
Not sure how soon I'll make it back down there. Last weekend would have been the time on the engine/rear arms though, as everything was 1/3 off (President's Day sale).

I thought about the engine, but my garage is full--and I have a parts car at a friend's garage.

The fuel tank looked like it was in good shape too--until the folks at the yard punched holes in it. I understand why they do it--but it seems like such a waste on some of these parts mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.