Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have experience with this dash face?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Haudiosolutions
Problem... All the pics I see are of a late dash but I have a 70, sans glove box and vents. Is there anything similar you'd suggest?
http://www.9xauto.com/servlet/the-45/Porsc...ive-dash/Detail
partwerks
I always liked the dash face that the trans am used. About 1/2 way down the page.
http://www.transamflorida.com/79specialeditionN0053.htm

matthepcat
I bet this is just a sticky backed fake aluminum dash.

I looked at this stuff for my car, but have decided to make one out of aluminum.

There is a member vendor that makes carbon fiber dashes. Maybe he can help you out.

Matt
Haudiosolutions
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Feb 19 2012, 01:55 AM) *

I bet this is just a sticky backed fake aluminum dash.

I looked at this stuff for my car, but have decided to make one out of aluminum.

There is a member vendor that makes carbon fiber dashes. Maybe he can help you out.

Matt

I'd like to get it dressed up and cover where the P/O installed a cd and an eq for the radio. I really think the aluminum look nice. Anyone know which member is making the cf dash fronts?
76-914
I forget; I think he is in MI?? BTW, what is synthetic aluminum? I found it described as this in another section of their ad.
914dave
Haudio,
I haven't seen the 9x auto dash. I bought 042" thick anodized aluminum and made my own with radio delete. Gluing the aluminum to the original steel backing. Had to extend the steel to cover the radio area. Didn't want the corners around the glove box being pulled away if they got caught on something. My interior guy said the contact cement used for formica counters will work. Here's some pix of the mockup.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
As for finding the aluminum, I sourced mine at and industrial resale house. Like a big lots for steel and hardware.
Black914_4
That alum. looks awesome against the black dash pads and gauges biggrin.gif
matthepcat
Nice! Hope mine looks that great. Anodized aluminum......good idea.
campbellcj
That does look really sweet! The black+silver reminds me of a Mac...

I would be worried about glare off the dash though. That's why I am keeping mine black.

Haudiosolutions
That is exactly what I'm going for. Thanks, now where to get the stuff and best way to cut without deforming the edges. Wanna just sell yours? lol-2.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Haudiosolutions @ Feb 18 2012, 05:50 PM) *

Problem... All the pics I see are of a late dash but I have a 70, sans glove box and vents. Is there anything similar you'd suggest?
http://www.9xauto.com/servlet/the-45/Porsc...ive-dash/Detail

Contact them & ask if they'd have the 70-71 dash version without the side vents & therefore a bit wider at left face & a wider glovebox door (by about 1" wider IIRC). Back in the day the dealers sold accessory kits with wood & turned aluminum dash faces (excluding the instr. pod IIRC) for the 914s - in both 70-71 & 72-76 versions.

FYI - Here's a rosewood one in my buddy's 71 914/4 (same dash set-up as yours) was put on by the dealer for a prior buyer who backed out, before my buddy bought it new (he actually wanted a turned alum. one which was by the same accy. mfgr. - he coming from a 57 Chevy Bel Air that was wrecked)....

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Alum. being thinner material, won't have the kerfed/angled cutouts & deep setbacks for radio & switches.

You can send them these pix if they don't know about the 70-71 dash face when you ask.

If 9x doesn't offer the early style, keep looking around, or contact a local sheet metal shop who fabricates them for hot rods, to measure yours then make it for your specs - turned, brushed (less reflective), polished, etc.

Hope this helps! shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.