Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: next customer resto project started
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
Bob Goulet dropped off his '70 at my shop yesterday.
I was surprised to see inertia reel seat belts, passenger side seat hinges and a few other late model updates that were obviously original on this car. blink.gif
The VIN tag on the windshield pillar starts with 470. That means its a '70, right?
Jeroen
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 8 2004, 02:12 PM)
The VIN tag on the windshield pillar starts with 470. That means its a '70, right?

Yep...

Post some pics as you make progress on the resto!
Jake Raby
Thats another one with MassIVe power! Damn, I built that engine 2 + years ago!

Chris, are you installing the engine???

BTW, Guy wanegar's engine is nearing completion, probably 2 weeks away!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 8 2004, 05:12 AM)
Bob Goulet dropped off his '70 at my shop yesterday.
I was surprised to see inertia reel seat belts, passenger side seat hinges and a few other late model updates that were obviously original on this car. blink.gif

the car was probably cut in half after the accident, front half is '70, rear is later model, i've seen it more than once ...

there was NO '70 factory car with moveable pass. seat and firewall mounted seatbelts.
wink.gif Andy
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 8 2004, 12:09 PM)
the car was probably cut in half after the accident, front half is '70, rear is later model, i've seen it more than once ...

What accident? The car has no signs of any previous work done to it.
there was NO '70 factory car with moveable pass. seat and firewall mounted seatbelts.

I knew that already. wink.gif
I asked Bob if it was a '74 when I saw the 1.8 badge on the back. He said a PO swapped engines. Then I saw the seat belts, and the hinges, and the reinforcement in the front trunk. Here's the VIN tag.
ChrisFoley
So I decided to look at the VIN stamp in the front trunk.
Funny it should be covered with a blob of putty.
Here's what was under the putty:
ChrisFoley
So Bob's '70 914-4 IS a '74 914 1.8.
He said the PO was a policeman, lol.
I guess he has some 'splainin' to do. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
heh! same as my car... badged as a 73 (and titled) but the vin on the fender is a 74. NO WREK either aktion035.gif
william harris
So let me see if I understand this right: the car is a 74 1.8 per the VIN stamp in the front trunk, the car IS NOT two cars pieced together, the car has been altered by the addition of a 70 VIN tag on the windshield pillar. WHAT THE HELL? Explanation? Could the 70 VIN be a good title and the 74 have title issues? This sort of stuff is crazy! wacko.gif
maf914
QUOTE(william harris @ Sep 11 2004, 05:05 AM)
Explanation? Could the 70 VIN be a good title and the 74 have title issues? This sort of stuff is crazy! wacko.gif

Or could the 74 be a stolen car and the 70 vin a rusted out hulk? The PO was a policeman you say? idea.gif

I say run both numbers at the DMV. Or maybe not. Wouldn't want the FBI or mob calling if foul play was involved! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.