Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Push rods bent
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
My friend just bought a bus. We got it to his garage and tried to start it. The bus started but ran bad. Found the two middle pushrods on the left side bent. w
What other damage should we look for.
Jake Raby
Seized valves and seized rocker arms. Something bent them.
ruddyboys
Notice the springs on the bent rods are heavy ditty, would that cause the bending?
Jake Raby
Why are two springs different? Look deeper, sounds like someone applied a band aid. Find it before it finds you~
ruddyboys
The other springs have a spring in a spring, the only way I can describe them. I guess two broke and were replaced by the heavy duty.
Jake Raby
Using dual springs requires head machining. Get some pics of this.
whatabout1
You may want to look deeper. Any valve on piston dings ?
jcd914
The valve springs could be stopping the valves before the cam has stopped lifting and bent the push rods.

Years ago I assembled a 2.0L bus engine with a pair new aftermarket heads.
Unfortunatly I did not look over the heads closely enough and 1 of the heads had valve springs that were wound out of thicker wire than the other. The valve spring would reach coil bind before the valves could open as far as the cam was trying to open them. Since it was a hydraulic cam set up i did not learn this until after I fire up the motor and the lifters could pump up.
Trashed my cam, lifters, rockers, rocker shafts, bent some of the push rods on that side and tried like heck to tear the valve keepers off the valves. It was quite a mess.

Jim
ruddyboys
Here are the springs.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Is the collar on top of the spring not susposed to go all the way around? Definitely a larger wire on the intake spring. It might be the picture, but the intake seems to leaning to the right.
Katmanken
Can a collapsed hydraulic lifter cause one to bend? Loaned my Vanagon to my daughter and she successfully bent a pushrod. Valve and rocker both moved.

She drives like a maniac, never changed the oil, and said "Here is the van back, it's been making a clattering noise for awhile" Thought it was a collapsed lifter and changed the oil and tried to pump the lifters back up up by running it.

Pulled the pushrod and it was bent- which made the length shorter. Straightened the pushrod using an old trick used by precision shaft makers to get straightness, and the rod still seemed to be too short for the old adjustment. That pointed to the collapsed lifter which was then pulled and bled. Still rattles on startup until the lifters pump up, and quiets down.
ruddyboys
Looks more like the Heavy Duty Springs. The 2 on the left had the HD Springs and on the right there was a slight bend on one that also had the heavy duty spring. All new OEM springs are ordered.
McMark
Looks like Jim is right. Coil bind looks likely.
Jake Raby
WOW!!! Those springs and retainers don't even match.. The springs don't even appear to be the same wire diameter. Take this apart and get to the bottom of it, thats scary. Who ever did this had no clue what they were doing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.