Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there any advantage to removing anodizing with sandpaper over oven cleaner?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74porsche914
Just wondering if there any advantage to removing anodizing with sandpaper over oven cleaner on fuchs 2.0L wheels? Every DIY on fuchs wheels polishing recommends using sandpaper to remove anodizing. I would think sandpaper would be worse because there would be more of chance of distorting the wheels due to the massive amount of sanding. Plus the oven cleaner method would be a hell of a lot easier.
scotty b
QUOTE(74porsche914 @ Feb 19 2012, 04:32 PM) *

Just wondering if there any advantage to removing anodizing with sandpaper over oven cleaner on fuchs 2.0L wheels? Every DIY on fuchs wheels polishing recommends using sandpaper to remove anodizing. I would think sandpaper would be worse because there would be more of chance of distorting the wheels due to the massive amount of sanding. Plus the oven cleaner method would be a hell of a lot easier.

plus oven cleaner will get places sandpaper won't get to very easily, and itb be less labor intensive
URY914
Use steel wool. #000
74porsche914
Alright thanks for the replies.
Eric_Shea
Have fun... av-943.gif

I use to just take mine to an anodizer in the Chicagoland area. The next day they gave it back to me done.
brant
I have stripped about 18 of the 5-bolt fuchs with oven cleaner.
its not too bad
do it outside on a warm day.
the chemical reactions don't work if its cool out
use a hose, wear gloves

74porsche914
How much did the anodizer charge you?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.