Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about Engine Number
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beamer13
Hey all,
I've been trying to find some info about an engine and am not having a ton of luck?? headbang.gif I've looked at a couple engine number charts and maybe I'm reading them wrong but it doesn't look like the one I have exists?

The engine code is GC001189

Any help???
type47
GC is, I believe, a 75-76 2L ...

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DjetParts.htm

... although I think you may be missing a 0 or another number in the engine serial number. The pbanders site linked above shows 7 digits in the serial number.
euro911
I have two '75 engines, both have a GC prefix.
porschefile2010
Definately 75 2.0 and there are only two 00's. I am just getting rid of GC001689 which had a bore out done on it and scored a new case from CA GC002666.
wingnut86
Remember also that if the original block was serviced by a Porsche or authorized dealer, they might receive a non-numbered block in exchange from the factory. In that case (no pun), the dealer was responsible for having their mechanics re-imprint/stamp the new block with the original blocks number and another code (i think).

Obviously, most dealerships in the US couldn't afford a set of those REAL expensive German steel die stamps, probably because of the expense of the cabinet quality pine box they wrapped them in huh.gif

VW factory blocks seemed to have similar issues when directly placed idea.gif
Beamer13
Thanks all!! The two 00's was what was throwing me off. I knew it was a 2.0, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bus engine or anything;)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.