Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Major gap between new weather strip and front trunk edge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
Installed mark's excellent weather stripping around the front trunk. Fit great. Washed the car and found water in front trunk. I can easily pass a piece of paper between the fender and trunk edge. The gap is about a sixteenth for about six inches. Relocating the weather stripping doesn't help. It can only go up so high. ThePO installed a fat wiring harness which the trunk pressed down on which ran between the gap between the fender and firewall. The trunk may be slightly bowed up as a result causing this. Pushing down and trying to bend the edge down does no good because of the reinforcing beam. Any ideas? Take it to a body shop?
Mikey914
QUOTE(RickS @ Feb 19 2012, 07:31 PM) *

Installed mark's excellent weather stripping around the front trunk. Fit great. Washed the car and found water in front trunk. I can easily pass a piece of paper between the fender and trunk edge. The gap is about a sixteenth for about six inches. Relocating the weather stripping doesn't help. It can only go up so high. ThePO installed a fat wiring harness which the trunk pressed down on which ran between the gap between the fender and firewall. The trunk may be slightly bowed up as a result causing this. Pushing down and trying to bend the edge down does no good because of the reinforcing beam. Any ideas? Take it to a body shop?

I know it's not ideal, but I could spot you some rubber to build up a strip to help close the gap. PM me if you want to try this.
-Mark
SirAndy
You can (carefully) try to bend the hood back into shape. I've done this before.

But you need to go sloooooow ...
smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Have you tried pulling down the hood hinge plate. There are two 17-19mm bolts holding it to the body. Loosen them and pull it down a tad or, get a new hood. sad.gif
RickS
Eric, sounds worth giving it a shot. Thx.

Any, a little paranoid about doing more harm than good, but thx.

Mark, will see if Eric's solution works first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.