Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $20,000.00 '74 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
What do you think?

http://cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?track...06&aff=national
tod914
Realy need to get more info it. Is the milage documented and 100% correct? Is the car 100% original and flawless?
i.e. no repaints, etc. Silver was a tough color to preserve. Seems alittle high even it is as represented. But, if it as stated, how many are actually still around in that condition?
Ferg
I have seen the car in person, it is not in my opinion a 10k orig mile car, it is not all orig paint, and it is far from a perfect concour car.
Ferg. sad.gif
boxstr
If actual documented 10K miles car. Maybe not that far off as far a price.
But I would not buy the car long distance. Arrive and drive.
CCLINDEALERLICENSEAPPLICATION
carreraguy
Looks like a real beauty if as advertised.

But I bet there is a fair amount to be done to make it drivable since it has been driven so little. I can speak from experience. Teeners have to be driven or they will deteriorate. I had to replace a lot of seals, tubing etc due to lack of use and deterioration on my low mileage car. Even so, $20K still seems way steep to me for a 4 banger; maybe more like $15K tops, but I agree, you definitely want to have an experienced set of eyeballs and a thorough PPI done on this car before you buy at this price.
brant
ferg,

didn't you tell me that there was some rust on the car (or something not too good)...

I think ferg went and inspected this car 2 weeks ago...
I don't remember exactly the description, but it sounded more like a 3,000 dollar car than a 20k car.

lets just say that the establishment that is selling it is in Boulder and (insert my first ever smilley here)
smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif

brant
Ferg
Here is what I know about the car, I saw it like brant said about two weeks ago before it hit the market...

front left quarter and drivers door look to have had damage repair, and paint

I'm not sure if the whole car had a respray or not, but the panels that were painted are poor, ie paint on trim ect.

Both sides of engine shelf have had silver spray paint applied, looks as though half hearted rust repair attempted, overspray on tin rubber ect.

looks to have orig shocks, that are totally wasted, front and rear, tires are orig or oem (skinny) and not what I would consider safe.

Interior was nice, no cracks in dash or seats ect, not clean but nice.

front, rear and side valance/rockers are super nice, front oem one is the nicest i've seen

front trunk is nice and clean, rear trunk had the begining of rust under the seam sealer under tail lights

bursh exhaust,

Over all, it was a car that with work and another 7k would be very nice, IF and a BIG IF the rust repair, or what I think was attempted rust repair under the battery turned out to be minor.

Would I pay 20k for this car, not after 20 of beer3.gif

Is the car orig miles, Not likley, over all appearance gave some signs it was low miles, but other things, like amount of dirt and grime under motor, and overall fit and finish said no way.

I was polite and did not laugh when he said 20k, blink.gif

anyone that wants to pursue this car contact me first.

Ferg.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 8 2004, 03:36 PM)
lets just say that the establishment that is selling it is in Boulder and (insert my first ever smilley here)
smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif

brant

It seems odd to me that a car like they are advertising would be at a be at smooth motors in Boulder, CO.

Just my take
Dominic
biggrin.gif Looks like my 73' 2.0 only mine didn't cost $20K
Maybe if I hold it long enough it will be worth that kind of $$ wink.gif
Porsche Rescue
I can't believe how many sellers are either very car ignorant or think that most buyers are fools. Craig and I looked at a silver six a few months ago that was supposed to have really low miles (can't remember, Craig, help me out). Yes, the interior was nice but one look at the undercarriage said "add another 100K to the odo".
A well cared for car can have a very nice interior and even exterior paint after 100,000 miles. I would bet more than a beer that the $20K car has at least 110,000 miles on it.
My '74 has about 35,000 miles. Those of you who saw it at WCC know what a low mile car looks and smells like. If that silver car has 10k miles it should smell new inside, even if it is 30 years old.
tod914
If actual documented 10K miles car. Maybe not that far off as far a price.

I believe that flawless phonex red 74 sold for like 18500. So a couple grand either way, like you said isnt that far off. The Italian 73 1.7 bahia red was being sold for 22k like 4 years ago. Some other real nice, low milage originals were around 14+ recently(past 6-9 months).
To have a brand new 914 for 20K, ummmm ok biggrin.gif. But.... that ain't it sad.gif
boxstr
The silver six that Jim and I looked at, according to the seller, had 40000 original miles. When you have looked at as many 914s as Jim Chambers has you can tell a 40K car and one with 140K miles.
I agree with Ferg. It is best to be polite and say "thanks, I will think about it".

I would again like to thank Howard and Duffy Exon, for taking a look at a 75 914 with 20000 original miles in Studio City, Ca. Probably the old 120000 miles car, priced to good not to look at.
Thanks again guys.
CCLINVEHICLEDEALERAPPLICATION
Gint
Smooth Motors strikes again!
redshift
Sounds like it's in better shape than the car I got for nearly as much, does OTTO ally with these guys?

M
sgomes
I'm not trying to pick a fight here but I don't think it is t he right thing to do to walk away with just a "I'll think about it." First off that's just lying! You AREN'T going to think about it. But more importantly the seller may not know he is committing fraud. I wouldn't want to be rude to the person but I certainly think that telling him in your professional opinion that the car is not what he is claiming.

I remember looking at many many many cars. I came upon one where the seller insisted it had no real rust and was asking a fairly high price. I looked up under the hell hole and yep, there was the classic "gash" in the long. I pointed this out to him and then showed him the "big butt" test. He truly was shocked. I saw that his ad had dropped in price by $5K by the next week.

Think of the next unwitting customer to come in and look at the $20k car. You owe it to HIM!
skline
QUOTE(sgomes @ Sep 9 2004, 07:18 AM)
I'm not trying to pick a fight here but I don't think it is t he right thing to do to walk away with just a "I'll think about it." First off that's just lying! You AREN'T going to think about it. But more importantly the seller may not know he is committing fraud. I wouldn't want to be rude to the person but I certainly think that telling him in your professional opinion that the car is not what he is claiming.

I remember looking at many many many cars. I came upon one where the seller insisted it had no real rust and was asking a fairly high price. I looked up under the hell hole and yep, there was the classic "gash" in the long. I pointed this out to him and then showed him the "big butt" test. He truly was shocked. I saw that his ad had dropped in price by $5K by the next week.

Think of the next unwitting customer to come in and look at the $20k car. You owe it to HIM!

I agree to an extent, however, this car is at a dealership and I worked for dealers for many years and they are not honest and it would make no difference what you tell them. Its just the nature of the business.
Ferg
I never said "I would think about it" those are not my words, I just said I did not laugh when he said 20k... In fact I told him after 2 min of looking at the car that it was not for me ever for 6k.

I did state to the seller/owner (infamous local used car salelot owner) that it was not a 20k car, and that I did not believe it was orig miles.

I hope no one even considers this car for close to what he's asking... and my posts hear are proof of that.

Ferg.
JeffBowlsby
Apparently its an international problem...look at this fine specimen that can be had for well over 20K EUROS...must be the rarity of that cool headlight washer system... confused24.gif

Speaking of which...I thought that there were parts of that windshield washer system mounted to the rear wlal of the front trunk...above the tire board? Does it all fit below the board?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...2489341022&rd=1
ArtechnikA
the ONLY thing a high-priced lo-miles car has going for it is the low miles.
every mile you drive it costs you about $5 and at the end of the year, you have a car like all the others. ifyou want a museum piece, that's cool, but if you want a driver, you're paying a BIG premium for something of negative value (because these cars age less when they're driven than when they sit ...)
dinomium
how do you "So you like the red accects, eh?" in German! :|
Allan
Andy you gotta help on this one! Or are you laughing as much as we are? Jeez, the problem is that some poor sap will pay this kind of money. Damn! headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.