Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Face Plates question ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
ok, i'm redoing my dash face and it seems that the 3rd plate, the one that covers the radio, is a different (thicker) material than the other 3 ...
anyone else noticed that? it does seem original as it has the correct stamp-out for the glove-box lock.
it's just much thicker material.

or do i have that rare custom factory option?

btw. the car is a '70 ...
wink.gif Andy
smg914
The 914 I bought new in '73 actually had a plastic plate that covered the radio. It was molded plastic to look like the basketweave of the other parts of the dash, seats and door panels. Other than that, 914's through 1974 used a metel plate covered in vinyl for the radio but changed in 1975 when the pattern in the vinyl changed and I believe they no longer used a metal plate for the radio cover. So if my math is correct, that would make 3 different plates used for the radio cover. Someone, please speak up if I'm wrong.
F4i
I have one out of a 72 with the plastic basket weave as well.
ruddyboys
My 74 had metal with vinyl and my parts car 76 had metal with the new basket weave vinyl.
SirAndy
yes, but is the metal part thicker than the other face plates that go on the glove-door and the rest of the dash (one to the left of the column, one to the right of the column).

i was wondering if anyone else noticed the metal face plate around the radio being much thicker than all the others, regardeless of the vinyl used to cover it ...

wink.gif Andy
Sparky
I've noticed that on my '74 and my '72 that the metal was in fact thicker. Not sure why they did this but... I have not seen the plastic ones. Do they match the basket weave well? Not that I'm putting an old style stereo in or anything. But if I find a modernized in dash 8-track...

My best,
Mike D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.