Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jacksonville 914 Restoration Recomendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Swarm
I have 914 4 1.7 that I want to restore and I am looking for reccomendations for someone or place near jacksonville that "Does a GOOD job" without raping you on the cost. The car is in pretty good shape all things considered. The body is in great shape with really only a few small rust bubbles, rusted out battery tray and minor rust at the jack points. The engine hasn't been run in 15 years. Here is a run down of what I want done.
Entire body sanded derusted and repainted preferably in the new porsche boxter Cobalt Blue Metallic mmmm nice...
Engine REBUILT not just serviced I wish I could get a 2316 Annilator from Jake Raby but you know thats a little expensive
the rebuild at a minimum should include but not be limited to the following
I want the galley plugs drilled, tapped and plugged
engine cleaned out shiney including the galleys
new cam, larger valves and 911 style adjusters
Brakes replaced with 911 or BMW calipers.
Any structural fixes that might be needed or found if required.
I currently have a bid in the works with autoatlanta but I would like to make sure I look at my other options. I feel autoatlanta knows what they heck they are doing with 914's but might be a little on the pricey side for what you are getting.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Swarm
redshift
Hmm... strip metal paint rebuild...

So, they said around $14k? oh... brakes... $15.5?

M
vortrex
those numbers seem somewhat accurate to me (not sure if you were trying to joke).

just wondering, why would you want to put so much money into this exact car? you could do the same thing to a 914-6 and not lose $10k+ on resale the moment you write the check.
SpecialK
I don't know any shops down that way....just replied to say welcome to the 914 Club.
Swarm
I know thats the big hangup for me.. droping 8k or more in car that isn't worth that amount when the work is done seems silly. I'd love to drop that cash in a 914-6 if i had one but I don't. I know the car is not worth much which makes it easy to make a decision not to bother keeping it factory stock. The car holds sentimental value though as I got it when I was 14 over 16 years ago. It may not be worth much but I still think it looks cool and would make a great daily driver for me to work and back if I could get it looking nice and fairly reliable. I'm now in my 30's have a great IT job and have money to have a Toy Car.. and to me anyone can walk down and buy a mazda RX-8 or a vette but I want something that you just don't see very often anymore.. and there it is sitting in my parents garage. I guess the honest answer is I should do it myself. For the most part I am to busy and would just as soon pay someone to do it for me not because I can't do it but because I don't have time. And I just want to make sure I get a good deal when it's done.
Special-K thanks for the invite to the club.

Swarm
URY914
I don't know of any shops in Jax, but the Brumos/PCA swap meet is coming up in Oct. and it a good place to get to know people. There is one member here that is in Jax, "PhilinJax" or something like that. He also posts on Pelican. He would know the area shops.

I'll be going to the swap meet and we can get together. I know of two other 914 guys in Jax but they don't post here that I know of. Hang in there, we'll get you hooked up.

Paul
carr914
I would call Brumos and ask for recommendations of resto-shops. The Brumos people have always treated me great(especially in comparison to the dealership in my town) and they certainly know 914s. I'm not sure who you should ask for as I deal mostly with the Brumos race shop.
T.C.
Swarm
carr914 Thanks for the tip on Brumos.. I gave them a call and at first the gave me the cold sholder saying they couldn't give me reccomendations because of legal reasons.. and then he said they do restorations.. and I said cool who do I need to talk to and he said "but only for race 914's" then he magically changed and reccomended two shops here in town to do my work.
Precision Frame and Carriage OR Universal Body
I'll check in with these.

John
URY914
I'm trying to get the date of the swap meet but can't get the regions site to come up. It has been the third weekend in Oct the last few years, I believe.

Paul
Swarm
I really sat down and took a good long look at the porsche today.... the cancer from the battery tray is immense.. I'm scared it's ruined the car beyond repair because of it.. funny thing.. get this. I popped the trunk open and saw something laying there and thought what the h3ll is this. It was the battery tray. turns out when the batter tray rusted and fell out (which ended my 914 driving 15 years ago.. I took the tray and Ospho'd it thats a chemical that supposedly changes the molecular structure of rust to something else kinda black and hard like metal.. get this I was completely freakin floored the the battery tray which was rusted beyone recognition 15 years ago was rust free 15 years later.. I mean it did not have 1 single speck of rust on it at all.. I never got around to painting the tray or anything after I ospho'd it Just cleaned it off with ospho and that was it. Mabey I should do the whole frame with that stuff.

btw I'd love to go to the swap meet with you. Let me know if you find out when it is.

Swarm
redshift
Ospho rocks!

Otto SUCKS!

smile.gif

M
URY914
Burmos/PCA Crown Region Swap meet OCT 23.

Autox Oct 24.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.