Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing door "tar"/sound deadener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Hello again all,
Making a lot of progress on my car, but this is an issue I'll need to face within the next few weeks. The bottoms of my doors seem to have some rust, which I believe it partially behind the factory soundproofing/tar that you see below. Does anyone know of a good way to strip the inside of the doors in those hard to reach areas? All I could think of was heat and a scraper, but I know I won't get to a lot of it this way. I haven't tried it yet, but I also don't think paint stripper will work because its not actually paint. I don't have access to a sandblaster either for the time being. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

dlo914
Others have used dry ice for the floor pans to remove similar material.
ThePaintedMan
Yeah I saw that. Didn't know it was the same material (my car had already been stripped of the floor tar when I got it). This stuff looks like it was sprayed on, where I understand the floor stuff was done with sheets. Either way, the biggest problem is still getting enough room in there to work. Thanks for the idea though!

QUOTE(dlo914 @ Feb 21 2012, 03:30 AM) *

Cracker
USE A HEAT GUN...IT WILL COME OFF QUITE EASILY.

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 21 2012, 03:35 AM) *

Yeah I saw that. Didn't know it was the same material (my car had already been stripped of the floor tar when I got it). This stuff looks like it was sprayed on, where I understand the floor stuff was done with sheets. Either way, the biggest problem is still getting enough room in there to work. Thanks for the idea though!

QUOTE(dlo914 @ Feb 21 2012, 03:30 AM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.