Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
monkeyboy
I'd like to stick with the stock size tires, but upgrade to a nicer tire than the cheepies I have on it right now. I don't have an issue yet, but I would like a better tire for the future. Do I have any options?

What is the best tire out there in the stock size?

I like the Toyo T1R's on my dad's car... do they make those in 165 15? idea.gif

driving.gif
JeffBowlsby
Not many options in the stock size: The Michelin would probably be at the top of the list like this one:

http://onlyoldiesgarage.com/xcart/product....productid=16540

Go bigger and there is more selection at lesser cost. 185s, even 205s. Do a search here, this has been discussed many times.
Tom_T
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Feb 21 2012, 01:59 PM) *

I'd like to stick with the stock size tires, but upgrade to a nicer tire than the cheepies I have on it right now. I don't have an issue yet, but I would like a better tire for the future. Do I have any options?

What is the best tire out there in the stock size?

I like the Toyo T1R's on my dad's car... do they make those in 165 15? idea.gif

driving.gif

Call Lucas Tires down in Long Beach, where they can order, advise, mount/bal., etc.
They can get you any tire in 165R15 that you find on their UK affilliate Longstone Tires (google them).

The Michelin XWX 165SR15 that Jeff linked, as well as XAS 165HR15 & Vredestein Sport 165SR15 & Sport+ 165HR15 are all available (Vreds are supposed to have softer sidewalls though).

Tire Rack & Discount Tire used to carry Kumho 165SR15, & Bridgestone used to make a 165TR15 that was pretty good, but IIRC they've changed to another mfgr. with that size or it's NLA.

The Originality & History Forum has a nailed topic at the top on Wheels & Tires with more choices.

Your OE tire speed rating will depend on the motor size: 1.7 & 1.8 spec'd S rated to 115 mph (SR); 914-6 & 914/4 2.0 spec'd H rated to 139 mph (although you can use SR for street use on a 2.0); and the T rated to 124 mph (TR) wasn't around then, but fits the speed profile for any of the 914/4's.

Also just try googling the tire size for a range of places to get them.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.