Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how 2 remove CV joint from stub axle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
opera guy
i need to take out my rear hub to drill it for 5 lug. but i cant seem to remove the cv joint from the stub axle. all 4 screws are off, is there a trick or a tool that im not aware of?

so far, i've been using a screw driver to mess around in there, but to no avail.

help type.gif
skline
I used a BFH and beat it off. It took a bit but eventually came off. Figure its been on there about 30 some years.
skline
Let me clarify that a little more, I used a puller to remove the stub axle from the hub and pulled the axle out with the stub attached. Then I beat it off with the BFH. I hope this helps.
opera guy
oh, oh i wanna clearify too biggrin.gif

my axle is still stuck to the rear hub which is ALL still on the trailing arm. hope this helps.

you pulled the hub/subaxle out of the trailing arm with a puller?
Aaron Cox
i took off the axle from the tranny side... undid the mongo gladnut..piece of wood and a BFH and hit it in from the outside....
d914
cv off ....Yes???

stubb in the back stuck to the flange??? yes??

undo castle nut and hit it with a BFH.

to pull the flange either drive it out from the back or use a slide hammer witha adpater to the studs or bolt it to the flange and pull it off.
opera guy
enlighten me, what is BFH? Big F&^King Hammer?
seanery
yes, BFH is a big ol hammer
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 9 2004, 03:04 PM)
yes, BFH is a big ol hammer

no.. thats a BOH... smaller then a BFH
dinomium
but just for giggles, what if you have the CV stuck to the flang and you don't want to take off the hub? Just seperate the CV from the wheel side flange? I don't see a way to hit it with the BFH!
confused24.gif

I did hit the partz car with the BFH, but that really didnt help much...
Aaron Cox
i used a screwdriver to pry the cv joint off the stub axle flange cool.gif
opera guy
man, this forum kicks ass. was able to get that axle/stub_axle out with a BFH from outside.

for our further entertainment, how do i remove the driver side axle? remove the starter?
d914
start by cutting out the trunk
opera guy
finally figured out how to take the driver side axle off.

1. point the tranny end (that has been removed) as close to the ground strap as possible.

2. jack under the trailing arm. just let the jack make contact with the trailing arm.

3. remove the nut to the top of the shock/spring assembly (under the trunk)

4. lower the jack/trailing arm. that should give you more room to wrestle off the axle.

5. after you're done with whatever it is you need to do with the axle.. re assemble in reverse order

glad i discovered this.. maybe everyone already knew it.. but i feel like i just reinvented the wheel biggrin.gif pat, pat, pat (on my own back)
Brando
I'm guessing the CVs and Stub Axles are like late 60's 911s... Four bolts and two studs?

When you take the bolts out all the way, get under there and with a hammer & chisel. get the tip of the chisel on the OUTSIDE CASING of the CV joint, then tap away from the hub (if doing hub side) or away from the trans (trans side). This will separate it methinks. At least, this is the procedure i use when they're stuck on there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.