Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Custom Work Technique
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I needed to fabricate rear bumper flares for this early 911 with SC flares, similar to the 2.7RS cars. I was going to do the usual winging it with cutting, welding, hammering metal. But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to be able to see what I was doing before I was halfway done. So I grabbed a couple packages of modelling clay and formed a quick mockup so I could tweak the angles and curves before I started bending metal. Once I was happy with the mockup, I formed the sub-parts to match the clay. This flare extension is three pieces to simplify fabrication.

So if you're doing something custom, go grab some modelling clay to previsualize what you're trying to do. Oh, and you can lay up fiberglass over clay to make custom fiberglass parts. wink.gif
Eric_Shea
Good work Bubba... thumb3d.gif
rick 918-S
Nice! biggrin.gif
SirAndy
The flare looks like it's got a dimple on top. Noticed that when i saw the car the other day too, on both sides.

confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
He can fix that with modeling clay... blink.gif
scotty b
beerchug.gif
MartyYeoman
Didn't they used to make whole cars out of that stuff?
dakotaewing
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Feb 22 2012, 02:30 PM) *

Didn't they used to make whole cars out of that stuff?

They still do at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena...
DblDog
You know what they say..."...Necessity is a mother...."
Andyrew
I like! Better than cardboard.
Gint
Nice job.
ThePaintedMan
Very nice. I still have yet to find a definitive answer to this : what should the clay be prepped with before laying FG? I heard you can apply release wax and then spray PVA directly onto it. Then FG as usual. Any insight Mark?
McMark
The FG won't stick to the clay. PVA would work too. Basically, ignore it. Don't try to wax it.
ThePaintedMan
Ah, okay. I've got some Chavant Y2Klay to do some mock-ups soon, hopefully including reproduction fiberglass bumper tops since the guy that was making them no longer is. I'll post something on here when I get around to doing it. Thanks Mark.

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 23 2012, 01:27 AM) *

The FG won't stick to the clay. PVA would work too. Basically, ignore it. Don't try to wax it.

Prospectfarms
Now that's "custom." A lot of extra time involved. Interesting post, thanks. (fun to see a photo of it finished)
majkos
QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Feb 23 2012, 05:12 AM) *

Now that's "custom." A lot of extra time involved. Interesting post, thanks. (fun to see a photo of it finished)

agree.gif

Great tip aktion035.gif

Thanks for sharing!
nsr-jamie
Cool !!
76-914
Nice work, Mark. If I might add this. I done FG layups on clay and do so when required but I prefer foam. Larger, less messy and is easily sanded. If you use a styrene resin (Bondo brand and others) you will need to use a urethane foam. It's the green foam used in floral arrangements and can be found at Hobby Lobby and other similar stores. Otherwise, the styrene style epoxy will melt the regular styrofoam. If you are making larger items i.e. flares, then you should use aero grade urethane epoxy such as Aero Poxy or equal. I prefer this method for two reasons. The styrene style fiberglass pieces tend to warp and you can use either type of foam with Aero Poxy. One final note: the FG resin will not stick to clay but it is a bitch to remove. Smear some clay on the wall and see how difficult it is to remove and clean. Whereas, the foam can be removed with a quick pass of the wire brush. All this from an idiot that didn't get a flu shot this year and is now paying the price. sad.gif
LarryR
It looks incredible! Thanks Mark.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.