Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't open doors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BCinSC
High on the list of bad design is the 914 door handles. While my passenger side has been tricky since the date of production, the drivers side has pretty much always worked... until the last torrential rain. Now it won't catch, no matter how many times I work the lock. It's been days now and I must get resolution. Please help. ~Bruce
Aaron Cox
coat hanger to the door pull.
Trekkor
I locked myself out earlier in the year. Use a hanger to get the top off, then reach in to open. Takes about 45 mins. And the patients of the funny farm. wacko.gif

KT
Trekkor
locked out thread

Here 'tis.

KT
morph
step one get a small screwdriver you dont care about and put a slight bend in.(or and real strong small piece of metal)
morph
insert and push"if youre worried about youre paint just put a piece of tape over the paint couple pieces will do "this dosent move the handle or damage the car.you wont hear it click but when the piece of metal is all the way in pull on the door.
BCinSC
They don't make hangers like the used to. I tried two different ones, both turned out too flimsy to do much once hooked on handle or window crank. I have patience enough to maneuver a piece of wire through a tight seal, hook latches, and gently pull until it gives..about four times, then I lose my cool and now have a nice dent in my driver's door matching my foot. Seriously considering the ball peen hammer to the vent window. I've had it with this aggravation.

FOR SALE: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7L in very good condition with these exceptions:
Can't unlock doors.
Dent in driver's door.
sgomes
Um, I don't mean to be a jackass but is there no locksmiths or tow trucks in your area?
BCinSC
Nah, I'm the jackass. I have AAA+ and didn't even think to call them. So used to having to do eveything myself on this thing. DOH
djm914-6
If I were you, I'd pray on it a bit and see if the lord can give you the answers you need. If that fails, call AAA.

Betcha didn't expect that one coming! biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
I have a piece of vent glass if it turns for the worst. Just pay shipping. Good luck.
SirAndy
QUOTE(BCinSC @ Sep 11 2004, 09:58 AM)
Nah, I'm the jackass. I have AAA+ and didn't even think to call them. So used to having to do eveything myself on this thing. DOH

locked myself out once. took the AAA guy 5 sec. to open my door ...

pray.gif Andy
BCinSC
Took a nap (much needed, given month old baby) that improved attitude, and called AAA. They'll be here within 30 mins. Wish I wasn't so dang stupid; now I have a large repair bill for door skin.
BCinSC
Took him a few tries, but finally got it open.
headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
URY914
I can fix those handles for you. biggrin.gif

Check out my post in the resources section.

Paul
seanery
how long does it take Paul?
I need both sides done and keep putting it off. headbang.gif
URY914
Right now, it would take awhile. I need to make two door skins and I'm starting to make front turn signal covers. Plus try to finsh my flares, and remodel the kitchen, fight off hurricanes...

If you look at the resources page and the pictures I posted you'll see how I did it.
I used aluminum angles and filed them to fit. You could do yourself if you needed them bad enough. They also pop up on eBay pretty cheap.

Paul
Trekkor
Now I can't open the door. And I'm inside the car. headbang.gif

Ran a run in the a/x today. The G's must have busted something. I can't open the door from the in or out.

Inside lock lever is sticky and won't operate properly. When I try to move the lever it has resistance and returns to the locked position.
It's like a small person is on the other side fighting me. unsure.gif

I had to crawl over the console and out the pass side.

Andy, what did you say to do?

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.