Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Conditioning a 914-6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JimmyG
wavey.gif Hello everyone! For some reason, after owning a 914 for 20 years, this is my first posting on this website. I'm glad to be getting my feet wet with people who love a car as much as I do.

I am preparing to restore my original 914-6 and have most of the decisions made on how to attack it except for the a/c. And, yes, I know what you are thinking...why would you want to air condition an original car? Well, I'm planning on driving this car all over the place to events and some little family outings in the summer and the enjoyment level wouldn't be there without some snowballs being thrown at me. I have read Gordon Luy's article in Road Glue and would love to talk to him about a compressor bracket if anyone knows how to get in touch with him. Also, I'll take any advice I can get. I'd also love to have an original 914-6 evaporator / fan housing unit for under the dash. I have a DPD and VPC to work with but it would be great to have anybody's input who has done this because I am by no stretch an engineer.

Let me know if you know something that might help. Jimmy
Steve
I'm in the same boat.
I'm having Rich Johnson make me a special motor mount to support the double pulley on the crank for the AC.

I figured that's the first step in the mess.
I will then be stuck in the same position you are.
How to make a compressor bracket that won't require cutting the firewall???

I also read the article and don't have a clue on how he made it work???

Please let us know if you figure this out.
The rest of the install should be a joke...

Steve
mercdev
How much difference in the 914-6 and 914-4 engine bay is there on that side (near the battery tray)?

I have an original VPC A/C and the compressor mounting (which cause them to move the ECU up and over) doesn't look like they had to modify the stock firewall much. Aside from the holes of course...if that's what you're referring to?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.