Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
What have you found to be the best way to install ? I'll be installing Jim's engine next week ( hopefully )and being that it is freshly painted, and my first time installing a V8, I am thinking a carb plate and the cherry picker going through from the top and lifting the engine UP from the bottom confused24.gif Not sure the cherry picker will even get that far under the car yet unsure.gif
RJMII
lift the car up on the hoist, put the engine on jack stands... line the engine mount points up with a plumb bob, then lower the car down.

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
The first time I used a cherry picker lifting the motor while the car was on a lift. Maybe 3-4 feet in the air. This allowed me to fab the engine cross bar. It was a Ford 5.0, nobody makes a kit.

Tha next time (Chevy), I installed it just like a T4. engine/tranny rolled into place and lifted up with 2 jacks.
RJMII
or cherry picker method you described.
IPB Image
Andyrew
From the top is NOT the way.

Engine/trani on a dolly, drop car down, install the 4 bolts....
computers4kids
I like lowering the car down onto the engine, seems to work for me.
rick 918-S
I built a rolling stand for mine. I jack the car up, roll the engine under it, and lower it down a little at a time until I have the bolts for the cross bar mount lined up. I set the car down, slip the bolts in and nut it up. Then just jack the car up far enough to get my stand out.

Click to view attachment
jmmotorsports
I use this hydraulic lift cart. Keeps the engine and trans very stable,roll it under the car, lift it into position. Works great for pretty much any engine and trans combo you would want to put in a 914

JerryClick to view attachment
jimkelly
ass up high : ) and furniture dolly

lower car to engine bar - then lift trans mounts to mounting points

andys
Up from the bottom, if you have an adequate jack. I built my own dedicated jack as I knew I would have to measure and fabricate requiring many install/removals. This jack collapses to 4 1/2".

Andys

rohar
QUOTE(andys @ Feb 23 2012, 09:55 AM) *

Up from the bottom, if you have an adequate jack. I built my own dedicated jack as I knew I would have to measure and fabricate requiring many install/removals. This jack collapses to 4 1/2".

Andys

That's brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.