Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another powder coat question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
Has anyone powder coated the heat duct "S" and "J" tubes? How hot do they get?

The folks at indy powder coating said that the powder coating is good up to about 325 degrees. I am thinking that the parts do not get that hot but really do not know. If the temp gets higher than 325 then the parts should be ceramic coated.

Any experience with coating these parts? Will the powder coating hold up to the heat that these parts experience?

I have SS elbows that attach to the heat exchangers so I'm not going to coat the elbows.
seanery
Doug you could get them hi-temp coated ie..JetHot

powdercoating is heated to 400 degrees in the melting/curing(?) process, so get close to that temp and it may start to fail/melt/get runny.

-sean
maf914
Many years ago I converted my 76 exhaust to the 74 style with SS heat exchangers. I cleaned and sanded the "S" and "J" tubes and other associated sheet metal pieces and sprayed them with Krylon satin black (cheap 914 owner! laugh.gif ). Except for inevitable scratches they are fine today.

I say this because if rattle can paint can withstand the heat, I would think powder coating could as well. Or is Krylon satin black better than we think? laugh.gif

BTW, people have posted concerning their powder coated engine tin, and several have shown the pieces, including the air guides that bolt up next to the exhaust pipes. I don't know how well these last, but I heven't seen anyone post not to do this.

BTW, this leads to another question. Because powder coatings cure at 400 degrees, does this mean the coating will melt at that temperature? Obviously its not like water that will freeze or melt at 32 degrees. But what sort of reaction occurs at 400 degrees and is it reversible? Just wondering.
Mueller
Eastwood has some powder coating that supposedly is good for 1000°f

Hi Temp Powder coating
Engman
You can powder coat these and they will be ok. Be warned though - you will have a bitch of a time getting them back together. These pieces are a tight fit as it is and powdercaoting will add .004"and up. I have seen parts get as much as .010".
I speak from experiece. Contact me offline and maybe I can help you with some ecaoting. Thats what I did to mine and they have been fine. Ecoating adds .0008" to the part and is very consistant.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.