Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a source to replace stock 4 lug wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
I am looking for a set of NOS 4lug wheels for a 73. Does anyone know where I can find these or what is available?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Feb 23 2012, 08:21 AM) *

I am looking for a set of NOS 4lug wheels for a 73. Does anyone know where I can find these or what is available?

I'm assuming you mean 4 lug Fuchs. If so, and you want them NOS you are probably out of luck. But it is easy enough to find them used. Traps you can fall into are that they are available as cast reproductions which aren't nearly as strong. They run +-$100 each plus shipping used on here in the classifieds and the Pelican Parts classifieds. If you want them like new, better in fact, send them to Harvey Weidman at Weidman Wheels in Oroville California. Not sure what he is charging these days but they come back better than new...
ConeDodger
Oh, by the way...

Harvey sometimes has some wheels in stock so you could buy direct from him and cut out all the shipping charges...
Tom_T
Noting that he has a `73 1.7, Rob, & to build upon your suggestions - he may in fact be looking for either the new for 73 MY 15x5.5J "mag-style" steelies, or the Pedrini or Mahle 4-lug alloy wheels.

Being a transition MY - especially in the 72 half of the 73 MY, both those alloy wheels were offered on 73 914-1.7s, and of course any buyer could option any wheel available - including aftermarket ones, although the COA & original sales docs would show how it left the factory.

Also noting the rest of your stable being notable p-car classics & the fact that you're seeking NOS wheels John, you're probably looking to do a correct original resto. So you'll need to look at the window sticker/dealer invoice for your 73 914-1.7 (if available) or get a COA from PCNA to determine which of the 4 available wheel types were originally on your 914, then seek those.

Although another member had sourced 4 or 5 NOS of the steelies noted above for a resto in the last year or so, IIRC they were supposedly the last available.

The Pedrini & Mahle alloys are also available used around the net sources & on here, and fall into the same category as the Fuchs 2L wheels Rob noted - get a nice used set to have restored by Wiedeman in Oroville CA - or Al Reed in Anaheim CA (who may also have some sets in stock & restored).

You can restore the steel wheels yourself, just look for rfoulds post on how he restored his on his Olympic Blue 74 1.8 in the Originality & History section, as well as look at the Wheels & Tires nailed topic in that O&H Forum.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.