Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Chrome Bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howie's 914
Anyone out here looking to sell or know of a front chrome bumper. It's for a 1970 so no front tits. Also, any idea's what I should tell the chrome place to pay me? Thanks for all your help.

McMark
Can we see pictures of what 'destroyed' means?

There was a company in China producing stainless steel versions new. Otherwise you're looking for used ones. Assuming they're eating the cost of their plating mistake and are simply replacing your core, you should be able to find a straight one that needs rechroming for $100 or so. Welding up the 'tit' holes before chroming wouldn't be hard either, just so you have a larger market.
76-914
800-1100 dollars. that repro company is in Nam. they look great but are polished SS. can't tell the difference unless side by side with a chromed piece.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 23 2012, 12:22 PM) *

800-1100 dollars. that repro company is in Nam. they look great but are polished SS. can't tell the difference unless side by side with a chromed piece.

Did you get a chance to see if the repos are thicker ? One of the complaints my chrome shop was that the 914 metal bumpers are on the thin side and makes repairs difficult.
euro911
Somebody on this forum set up a group buy a couple years ago.

It was a local chrome shop here in Los Angeles. They did a great job of repairing cracks, filling holes and straightening, as well as triple-plating them.

I'll see if I can find the receipt.
kconway
This is the place they did the group buy, but the website is non-existent now. Wonder if they went out of biz?

The Bumper Shop
828 E Florence Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90001

(323) 585-3865

sean_v8_914
Bruce worked with them and got bit. I bought several. they looked good from far but...better than most survivors out there
sean_v8_914
EPA changes in 2011 have made it hard to find the good stuff in SOCAL
bembry
Due to the EPA stuff, there's guys on the hotrod websites (like H.A.M.B.) that find shops in SoCal that have their platers in Mexico and go back and forth.

I got my front bumper redone after tow truck let my car smack the rear of the truck cab, at Central Plating in Phoenix. They did a show quality job. I had them redo my 63 Dart Convert bumpers too. I thought they were so thrashed that they weren't even good for cores. Central made them show quality too. This was 1998, so not sure if they're still there either.
andys
QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 23 2012, 10:25 PM) *

This is the place they did the group buy, but the website is non-existent now. Wonder if they went out of biz?

The Bumper Shop
828 E Florence Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90001

(323) 585-3865

I spoke to them by phone about 6 months ago, so they were still in business then.

Andys
SKL1
Had my front bumper from a '73 done by Bumper Shop a few months ago. Filled in the bumperette holes, did a great job. If I can find the contact info I'll post it...
markb
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Feb 23 2012, 10:56 PM) *

Bruce worked with them and got bit. I bought several. they looked good from far but...better than most survivors out there

Bruce just had one done for me last month at a new place. Much better than the last batch. smile.gif
euro911
QUOTE(kconway @ Feb 23 2012, 10:25 PM) *

The Bumper Shop
828 E Florence Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90001

(323) 585-3865
Yep, that's the place Kevin.

Front and rear, 4 corner cracks repaired, 6 or 8 holes filled, straightened and triple-plated.

For the amount of repair work they did, and the quality of the product I received back, I was very pleased with the price (a little over $600.)
thumb3d.gif
Gint
I got one done on that deal for about $360 if memory serves me correctly. It was pretty good. I was happy with the end result given the price. But it wasn't show quality by any means.
euro911
'Show Chrome' is expensive. My brother spent $2,500. for the bumpers on his '57 Ford wagon restoration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.